Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.9.14 Still Working On Shader Model 5, D3D Command Stream

Phoronix: Wine 1.9.14 Still Working On Shader Model 5, D3D Command Stream

Wine 1.9.14 was released today as the newest bi-weekly Wine development release for running your favorite Windows games/applications on Linux and other operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In this wine version more CSMT work is added (but in game tested seems similar to 1.9.13)

In other case like unreal 2003, d3d mode runs better (maybe buffer management have relation ?) compared before versions (tested sometime ago) and opengl also works without problem

Direct3D

OpenGL

However try serious sam 2 opengl mode but crash at begin, on direct3d mode works without problem

Last edited by pinguinpc; 09 July 2016, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I really hope the D3D gets ready soon!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
        I really hope the D3D gets ready soon!
        I just don't see it happening. DX should have been implemented natively (and should be its own independent project) then simply passed through to wine. What wine attempts currently is soooo stupidly overcomplicated and project specific, it's just not ever going to happen. Ok so wine can run some dx9 games stupidly glitchy, but in no way does that mean they re doing it the best way.

EDIT: I think wine desperately needs forked. It's a matter of completely retarded decision making there. It needs new project leadership desperately.
        Last edited by duby229; 09 July 2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I just don't see it happening. DX should have been implemented natively (and should be its own independent project) then simply passed through to wine. What wine attempts currently is soooo stupidly overcomplicated and project specific, it's just not ever going to happen. Ok so wine can run some dx9 games stupidly glitchy, but in no way does that mean they re doing it the best way.

EDIT: I think wine desperately needs forked. It's a matter of completely retarded decision making there. It needs new project leadership desperately.
          hmm... on one hand, forking would mean effort duplication.
          on the other hand, continuing to go down a wrong path is bad...

But shouldn't the M$'s DX be able to install on wine? And then, the games would use that? Instead of implementing DX by themselves, shouldn't they focus on the root of what is wine? (allowing windows programs to run seamlessly, and therefore DX)

Maybe ReactOS has a better shot at this, which seems to be really taking off right now...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

hmm... on one hand, forking would mean effort duplication.
            on the other hand, continuing to go down a wrong path is bad...

But shouldn't the M$'s DX be able to install on wine? And then, the games would use that? Instead of implementing DX by themselves, shouldn't they focus on the root of what is wine? (allowing windows programs to run seamlessly, and therefore DX)

Maybe ReactOS has a better shot at this, which seems to be really taking off right now...
            Ever since MS lost the DX lawsuit that allows independent 3rd party implementations. If I'm remembering correctly I think it was around 2009 or so. So if I'm being perfectly fair, then the option of a native implementation didn't always exist. But the option does exist now and it is the best way forward. I think the fundemental problem is that Codeweavers uses wine to make a profit, and they want to make sure that only they can make a profit from it, even if it means that the implementation is completely stupid.

Comment

You're forgetting that wine is a general-use framework that just happens to run some games too. If you need stuff that targets gaming, make something like VP does with EON.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

You're forgetting that wine is a general-use framework that just happens to run some games too. If you need stuff that targets gaming, make something like VP does with EON.
                So in other words, wine sucks for political reasons so the only option is duplication of effort....

Comment

Yes, let's just ignore the thing 90% of Linux users use Wine for and instead focus on something no one cares about.

Comment

So in other words, wine sucks for political reasons so the only option is duplication of effort....
                    Point is, if you want to run Skyrim, you don't need features that can run MS Office. If that's political, sure, then it is. Wine is a mini-windows, it has all the libs and dlls, it hijacks your whole system with its entries, completely removing it is as hard as removing malware. Nothing of this is required to run games.

Comment

Working...
                    X