No announcement yet.

Mozilla Is Looking To Build A Recommendation System: Context Graph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an interesting idea, and I doubt they will collect more personal info than Google and Facebook.

It's nice to see that some one is trying to innovate our browsing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
      The primary reason Chrome has such a great market penetration is because Google is using their existing platforms (google web/android) and is pushing Chrome aggressively.
      Where have I heard this before?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        It seems like gathering this information would, in and of itself, be a gross violation of privacy. If this is off by default, the data will be poor; and if it is on by default, user privacy will be severely compromised.
        in any modern browser there are many features that degrade your privacy, but at least Firefox lets you disable them

here a list of "features" that you may not know http://www.trek.eu.org/text/firefox-tuning.html

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post

in any modern browser there are many features that degrade your privacy, but at least Firefox lets you disable them

here a list of "features" that you may not know http://www.trek.eu.org/text/firefox-tuning.html
          Sometimes that degraded privacy is a plus. For example, because Google knows I'm a programmer and interested in electronics, when I search for "struts" it knows to put the framework first; of if I search for "choke" it will prioritize the inductor-related results. If I were perfectly anonymous, I'd be getting generic answers to sift through.

But I agree, Mozilla seems to be the best at letting you fine tune your own exposure level and that's very nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Sometimes that degraded privacy is a plus. For example, because Google knows I'm a programmer and interested in electronics, when I search for "struts" it knows to put the framework first; of if I search for "choke" it will prioritize the inductor-related results. If I were perfectly anonymous, I'd be getting generic answers to sift through.
            it is a plus (for you) only because you have the freedom to make this choice

but how informed is this choice? Google knows about your work, your hobbies, probably your mail and your name/address, and obviously your web searches. All this data to don't type framework before struts?

on the other hand you will have some trouble searching the same url from another google account or when not logged in, but yes the views on privacy are personal tastes

Comment

Originally posted by trek View Post

it is a plus (for you) only because you have the freedom to make this choice

but how informed is this choice? Google knows about your work, your hobbies, probably your mail and your name/address, and obviously your web searches. All this data to don't type framework before struts?

on the other hand you will have some trouble searching the same url from another google account or when not logged in, but yes the views on privacy are personal tastes
              Fwiw, that's all public info even without Google knowing about it...
              And it's not about not typing "framework". If I can get news sorted out for me, that's a time saver.

Comment

We already have search engines for that...
                Also, why the hell does this need to be integrated in the browser? Just make it an extension or something.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

They boot members of violent hate groups. Oh boo hoo!
                  What are you referring to? I only know of stabbing one of the Mozilla founders and javascript inventor in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post

What are you referring to? I only know of stabbing one of the Mozilla founders and javascript inventor in the back.
                    As much as I have disliked that decision at first, it was reasonable in the end.
                    This is the 21st century and people can no longer afford to alienate people based on their sexual affiliation. And thank god for that!

Comment

Working...
                    X