Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla Is Looking To Build A Recommendation System: Context Graph

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by grigi View Post
    I don't understand the bias over Firefox and it being "bloated"
    The post containing the word "bloat" isn't about Firefox.

    Originally posted by grigi View Post
    Its is smaller in footprint over Chrome/IE/Edge/Safari, and is getting faster and smoother at a consistent rate. Yes when Chrome came out it was slicker and faster, but Firefox did the same when it came out initially. The primary reason Chrome has such a great market penetration is because Google is using their existing platforms (google web/android) and is pushing Chrome aggressively.
    Firefox feels faster than Chrome. (I am using Chrome though).
    Last edited by atomsymbol; 07 July 2016, 06:41 AM. Reason: Relax the wording about performance

    Comment


    • #12
      It's an interesting idea, and I doubt they will collect more personal info than Google and Facebook.

      It's nice to see that some one is trying to innovate our browsing experience.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by grigi View Post
        The primary reason Chrome has such a great market penetration is because Google is using their existing platforms (google web/android) and is pushing Chrome aggressively.
        Where have I heard this before?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by microcode View Post
          It seems like gathering this information would, in and of itself, be a gross violation of privacy. If this is off by default, the data will be poor; and if it is on by default, user privacy will be severely compromised.
          in any modern browser there are many features that degrade your privacy, but at least Firefox lets you disable them

          here a list of "features" that you may not know http://www.trek.eu.org/text/firefox-tuning.html

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by trek View Post

            in any modern browser there are many features that degrade your privacy, but at least Firefox lets you disable them

            here a list of "features" that you may not know http://www.trek.eu.org/text/firefox-tuning.html
            Sometimes that degraded privacy is a plus. For example, because Google knows I'm a programmer and interested in electronics, when I search for "struts" it knows to put the framework first; of if I search for "choke" it will prioritize the inductor-related results. If I were perfectly anonymous, I'd be getting generic answers to sift through.

            But I agree, Mozilla seems to be the best at letting you fine tune your own exposure level and that's very nice to have.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Sometimes that degraded privacy is a plus. For example, because Google knows I'm a programmer and interested in electronics, when I search for "struts" it knows to put the framework first; of if I search for "choke" it will prioritize the inductor-related results. If I were perfectly anonymous, I'd be getting generic answers to sift through.
              it is a plus (for you) only because you have the freedom to make this choice

              but how informed is this choice? Google knows about your work, your hobbies, probably your mail and your name/address, and obviously your web searches. All this data to don't type framework before struts?

              on the other hand you will have some trouble searching the same url from another google account or when not logged in, but yes the views on privacy are personal tastes

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by trek View Post

                it is a plus (for you) only because you have the freedom to make this choice

                but how informed is this choice? Google knows about your work, your hobbies, probably your mail and your name/address, and obviously your web searches. All this data to don't type framework before struts?

                on the other hand you will have some trouble searching the same url from another google account or when not logged in, but yes the views on privacy are personal tastes
                Fwiw, that's all public info even without Google knowing about it...
                And it's not about not typing "framework". If I can get news sorted out for me, that's a time saver.

                Comment


                • #18
                  We already have search engines for that...
                  Also, why the hell does this need to be integrated in the browser? Just make it an extension or something.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

                    They boot members of violent hate groups. Oh boo hoo!
                    What are you referring to? I only know of stabbing one of the Mozilla founders and javascript inventor in the back.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post

                      What are you referring to? I only know of stabbing one of the Mozilla founders and javascript inventor in the back.
                      As much as I have disliked that decision at first, it was reasonable in the end.
                      This is the 21st century and people can no longer afford to alienate people based on their sexual affiliation. And thank god for that!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X