Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DigiKam 5.0 KDE Photography Software Released

Phoronix: DigiKam 5.0 KDE Photography Software Released

After two years of development, DigiKam 5.0 has been released as the digital photography management software from the KDE camp that's now been ported to Qt5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ironic since the main thing advertised about this release is that they got rid of 80% of the kde depenencies and they make note of how they want to turn it into a pure qt app so they can port it easier between linux, mac and windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
      Ironic since the main thing advertised about this release is that they got rid of 80% of the kde depenencies and they make note of how they want to turn it into a pure qt app so they can port it easier between linux, mac and windows.
      Not ironic at all, one of the landmark features of KDE applications was the HEAVY reliance on KDE stuff. They have reversed the trend, it's great.

Comment

If you're using Qt + some of KDE Tier1 frameworks then cross-platform is pretty simple, but for applications relying on Tier3/Tier4 frameworks, then developing for Windows/OSX starts to become a hassle. I worked on my KDE application port to Windows and I tried to minimize reliance on KDE libraries as much as possible, but only to find out I have to do them myself. KDE Libraries save a LOT of development time and effort, that's the reason they were developed in the first place. At the end, we still use some core KDE libs and happy with Linux/Windows support for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
          If you're using Qt + some of KDE Tier1 frameworks then cross-platform is pretty simple, but for applications relying on Tier3/Tier4 frameworks, then developing for Windows/OSX starts to become a hassle. I worked on my KDE application port to Windows and I tried to minimize reliance on KDE libraries as much as possible, but only to find out I have to do them myself. KDE Libraries save a LOT of development time and effort, that's the reason they were developed in the first place. At the end, we still use some core KDE libs and happy with Linux/Windows support for now.
          Yup, the whole point of making the KDE libraries modular and tiered was for this purpose. Also, all the work that's been done to port the improvements that were KDE-specific to Qt itself as much as possible.

Comment

I never said it was a bad thing. :-D
            I really like the fact that it actually has a chance to be stable on windows now.

I just find it ironic that it's still being called a kde application when it is almost a pure qt app now.

Comment

I never said it was a bad thing. :-D
              I really like the fact that it actually has a chance to be stable on windows now.

I just find it ironic that it's still being called a kde application when it is almost a pure qt app now.
              Maybe it should be called DigiQam now?

Comment

Whether something is or isn't a KDE application or is or isn't a GNOME application depends on the community. Pippin, who used to be one of the Gimp developers told me very emphatically that Gimp isn't a GNOME application despite the Gnome foundation handling Gimp's money, gimp's bugs being tracked in bugs.gnome.org etc.

In the meantime, doing your development on KDE's git hosting, bug tracking on bugs.kde.org, server hosting with KDE, developer accounts handled by identity.kde.org, translations handled by the KDE translation teams and so on makes a project a KDE project and its developers part of the KDE community, not matter what technology the project uses.

Comment

KDE applications were never called that way because they were only used on systems running the KDE desktop.
                  People used K3B while using GNOME or Okular while using XFCE, etc. and the applications were and are still KDE applications.

Apple iTunes on Windows is still an Apple program, Microsoft Office on macOS is still a Microsoft program, no?

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Working...
                  X