FFmpeg 3.1 Is Primed With New Features: Includes H.264/HEVC VA-API Encoding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 3.1 Is Primed With New Features: Includes H.264/HEVC VA-API Encoding

Phoronix: FFmpeg 3.1 Is Primed With New Features: Includes H.264/HEVC VA-API Encoding

FFmpeg 3.1.0 is now available with the latest features for this widely-used open-source multimedia library...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...g-3.1-Features

Is the OpenMax encoder that is part of the Radeon OS stack any use at all? I have not been able to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
      Is the OpenMax encoder that is part of the Radeon OS stack any use at all? I have not been able to use it.
      In theory it's usable with gstreamer, with the gst-omx plugin to be exact.

Beyond that, there's VAAPI encoding patches on the mesa mailing list, when those land you'll be able to use the radeon encoder with ffmpeg.

Comment

Anyone know what hardware will work with this va-api encoding? Just Intel?

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
          I tried, with some changes it almost works, no errors from ffmpeg but result file is empty.

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
            Anyone know what hardware will work with this va-api encoding? Just Intel?
            looks like now only intel works, i tried mesa+radeon vaapi encoding patches with ffmptg and no luck. with gstreamer radeon vaapi encoding works fine .

Comment

Is it possible to implement ffmpeg into the browser and eventually how?

Comment

omx works OK for me with gstreamer, though it's a pain to set up, I guess distros should do better than me on LFS though :-)
                You get fixed qp=28 and very sparse I frames, no b frames, one ref, no cabac (though code hack can turn it on and it works).

omx with ffmpeg doesn't (or didn't last time I tried) work as there seems to be no nv12 handling - when I tried it just spun forever querying mesa but not handling "the answer" being nv12.

vaapi - there are patches for mesa about, but they are still being reviewed/changed.

Testing the early patches it is possible to encode with gstreamer and ffmpeg (which needs extra patches) - there are still issues though. I expect when mesa gets the final code these can be sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  Is it possible to implement ffmpeg into the browser and eventually how?
                  I think there is a chromium-ffmpeg package in ubuntu repos, but it seems it is already statically-linked in chromium https://codereview.chromium.org/1141703002/

Firefox uses ffmpeg since version 43 http://news.softpedia.com/news/firef...x-496213.shtml

If that works or not... I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                    I tried, with some changes it almost works, no errors from ffmpeg but result file is empty.
                    A weird definition of "almost".

Comment

Working...
                    X