Wine 1.9.13 Continues Working On Shader Model 5, Direct3D Command Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
    Indeed, I'm aware of that, but the issue is that if root owns the folder, it may cause permission issues for write access of configuration files.
    If, with a per-process environmental variable set by the flatpack, that specific wine goes looking for configs in a specific folder, I don't see why there should be any ownership issues.

Setting per-process envs is easy, open bash, export the env for that session, launch the program. In practice you double-click on a script calling wine binary.

If there are ownership issues it's because the guy that packaged it screwed up something.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      l

Valve and Codeweavers could work together. and valve could use snap and bundle one single working wine version per app. so in the end valve could bring all 8800 games in the steam catalogue to linux inside steamos.
      i think all problems you talk about are so little that you can fix it and do it for real.
      A few Linux games on Steam are just Windows games bundling Wine, so this is already being done. It's usefulness is limited because Wine still doesn't have an advanced enough Direct3D 11 (nevermind D3D 12) implementation, so virtually no new AAA games will yet work in Wine at all, regardless if snaps or flatpaks were to be used.

One possible solution is cloud gaming support and partnering with a company that provides this service. Cloud game streaming is a natural extension to the already available Steam In-Home Streaming and can be used by those without a 2nd gaming PC in the house for IHS.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Afaik yes, PlayOnLinux does already use different pre-configured/hacked Wine runtimes to run stuff (to use the wine that works best with that application, or to avoid regressions)
        This bodes well for "downloading and just running" windows applications!

Comment

Originally posted by Denon View Post

I think it is better to make your windows app work flawless with wine.
          Well, this does need to be a first step before packaging your app with flatpack/snappy

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
            Indeed, I'm aware of that, but the issue is that if root owns the folder, it may cause permission issues for write access of configuration files. I can imagine that if a package had a prebuilt prefix, it would probably have 755/644 permissions on it's files.
            The GOG solution used when they needed to create .deb packages for DOSBox titles was to just use 777/666 permissions for files which it installed under /opt. Security be damned! Oh, the .deb files also ran a script that manipulated icon files in your home directory (saved as root:root) too. And if that wasn't enough, it just made the blind assumption that every directory /home was a user account, so it would try to mess with my /home/lost+found directory and ultimately fail installation.

Good thing they don't use .deb packages any more. Having .deb packages manage what are essentially files for a specific user was (and continues to be) a horrible horrible idea.

Comment

In this wine version appears various changes related with flickering, especially notorious in various titles case senran kagura shinovi versus*, sonic lost worlds** and devil may cry 4 ***

*In senran kagura shinovi versus stop flickering if you have wine staging with csmt option enabled but in this version flickering stay reduced (in menus stay now but reduced compared before versions) and now is possible test in game before this is not posible because game have intensive flickering (fps in game stay in before versions around 5fps)

**In sonic lost worlds in before versions dont show characters and now shows characters without problems

*** In devil may cry 4 in lastest versions have some flickering problem in main menu textures but in this version problem are gone

Comment

Working...
              X