No announcement yet.

KDE Neon: The Rock & Roll Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I test it out and it was nice but i miss the language packs.

EDIT: Found them, its annoying to search and install them manual ...

EDIT2: Nice there are still other language packages that are not compatible with the kde neo packages.
    Last edited by Nille; 21 June 2016, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Who cares wayland when gtk works.
      Who cares if decades years old X is a security mess and performance joke when it works? Great logic. When comes to KDE vs xfce the first one can be configured as you want. It also has its own applications which share libraries and resources while xfce has to load everything from the beginning. In the end KDE can be faster and lighter.

In Thunar you have Custom Actions and add gnome-search-tool it.
      Which isn't even close to what he was writing about.

I recommend QasMixer
      Which isn't part of xfce and it's written in Qt, so it fits much better in KDE. In xfce you have to load additional libraries.

There is no sense to mess your desktop in a pc and smartphone. In Xfce you can set launcher to a auto-hide panel.
      Yeah, let's waste entire screen for a wallpaper. xfce is no match for KDE. Just compare xfce applications (if any) to KDE ones.
      Last edited by Guest; 21 June 2016, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
        In any case, the thing they don't tell you is that because Neon provides an updated version of QT, all the software in the Ubuntu repository that relies on the old QT version is permanently broken, see: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=362917
        pyQt is coming... "soon" (cough). Ah maybe I spoke too soon then

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
          Can anyone list a killer feature of KDE plasma for me?
          Wondering if worth another look. Haswell with xfce debian unstable.
          Cheers
          Simple... KWin is by far the most advanced/ performant Window Manager in the Linux eco-system.

Plus Martin Gräßlin, one the main developers, is actually here posting on this thread and gives a shit what the user experience is.

Obviously Dolphin (file manager) and Kate (text editor) are best in class - for bundled Desktop Linux applications.

I think if you like KDE then you'll probably like Plasma 5 - otherwise I don't think there is a truly compelling reason to use it.

Although at least user feedback (read outcry) / bug reports about "depreciated" features do get listened to... (I'm looking at you Gnome!!)

Comment

Originally posted by member of the KDE VDG
            The other application is VLC media player which was chosen over Dragonplayer; VLC is an excellent media player, but it’s also the most complicated media player available, with even it’s most basic settings being beyond most users.
            Thank God, someone finally noticed that nobody ever want those KDragonPlayer, or the crippled GUI to MPlayer, or something alike, when there's a FOSS player with a bunch of functionality and settings which those mentioned have never had!

«Complicated» — are you kidding? Just don't use anything you don't know. You know only what «audiochannels» and «subtitles» is, because it's the only options in Dragonplayer? So don't use anything except these two options!

Sorry for emotions, it's just my pain — I never could understood why would distro packagers every time add a package, which… not that it is bad, but just it have much better alternative.

Comment

This article and its fans are like MS windows articles and fans, they believe their system is the best. Hype without any objective comparison.
              Oh man c'mon....

You just wrote a 50 lines comment about "debianxfce is the best distro ever all others are shit don't even try them debianxfce is god and will make you rich and all features are wonderful and your dead grandma will come back for x-mas if you use debianxfce"

Are you kidding us really???

Comment

This article and its fans are like MS windows articles and fans, they believe their system is the best. Hype without any objective comparison.
                As if you don't (repeatedly) postulate that Xfce's whisker menu is the second coming and nothing else should be used...

Let's simplify things a bit. I use KDE because I'm familiar with it, it does what I need it to do and I can configure it to my liking (and yes, when I spend $200 on a video card, I also like a window that wobbles - personal preference). I do not have the time to install each and every release of Gnome, LXDE, Xfce and what not and switch DEs because some release uses a few MB RAM less than another.

Btw, that whisker menu does exactly what KDE default launcher does (and if you switch from Application Launcher to Application Menu it even looks pretty similar). Though, honestly, when you have KRunner, you kinda stop using the launcher anyway.

Comment

There are many technical facts why Debian testing Xfce is the best distro. Xfce is very configurable, Debian testing Xfce uses 150MB RAM after boot, Xfce does run in rasperry pi while KDE does not, Debian testing is a stable rolling release distribution and supports many platforms, Debian has many servers so updates are fast, Debian has many users and developers and it has been long in the market.
                  Stop it... I start falling in love with you.

Comment

KDE launchers are not adjustable, Whisker menu can look like win10 launcher with huge icons or with small icons for normal people. Whisker menu does have Switch categories by hovering and many other handy options.
                    And if I launch everything through KRunner, why do I care how configurable the launcher is? Hitting Alt+F2 and typing the first few letters is faster than hunting with the mouse through the smartest menu anyway.

Fwiw, it has had "switch categories by hovering" for quite a while and I'm pretty sure you can configure the icon sizes, too.

Comment

Which applies perfectly to you. Your only solution for all the world's problems is "use debian with xfce".
                      Reason: because it runs on Raspberry Pi
                      Last edited by juno; 21 June 2016, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X