X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penguin36
    replied
    Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    Could anyone explain, why is this «Widevine CDM», whatever it is, happened to be supported on OS X and Windows, but not GNU/Linux? I used that libraries working on OS X, at least, are working on GNU/Linux too — from the programmer point of view the difference is just a graphic stack, isn't it? Otherwise they're POSIX compatible.
    Regarding the question of Firefox support for Widevine on Linux, Asa Dotzler commented today:

We're working on it. We have the code to host Widevine on Linux and are endeavoring to get the Linux side enabled in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Termy
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

the trick was / is much easier: uninstall flash. The web is so much better without it. Even the adds are html5 then
    haven't tried for a while now, but having flash default-blocked didn't help...uninstalling sadly isn't really convenient nowadays, althought its getting better every day ^^

Leave a comment:

• bdcomp
    replied
    The best feature of Firefox 47 is
    Code:
    about:performance
    Open it, disable the 10 seconds option and leave it for about 30 minutes, using Firefox as usual.
    Come back and discover exact data of that add-on or site is slowing down your browser.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by Termy View Post
    I'm playing HTML5-Youtube for a long time now on Linux+FF...the trick is: send "FF on Windows" or "Chromium" UserAgent...
    Don't really know what this BS should be good for - never had any trouble, so the only thing i could think of is trying to promote Chrome or something...
    the trick was / is much easier: uninstall flash. The web is so much better without it. Even the adds are html5 then

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    servo will be ready since 2095?
    According to this, some components are already shipped with Firefox. Idk though, if that about Nightly builds yet, or releases.
    Originally posted by Roadmap

Internally committed 2016 goals

• Ship one Rust component in Firefox Nightly, riding the trains
    • Experiment with the uplift of a major piece of Servo into Gecko

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    Sarcasm aside, it seems a milestone is supposed to be hit this month: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...TXOo0_rdrU/pub

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Could anyone explain, why is this «Widevine CDM», whatever it is, happened to be supported on OS X and Windows, but not GNU/Linux? I used that libraries working on OS X, at least, are working on GNU/Linux too — from the programmer point of view the difference is just a graphic stack, isn't it? Otherwise they're POSIX compatible.
    Last time I looked at it I read that the providers for the plugin/library/whatever they use in firefox to provide this great DRM thing came from Adobe in binary form and for obvious reasons requires the host binary (the browser) to be signed and sealed and licensed and whatever otherwise they won't work.

Widevine is the name of the one used in Chrome, and made by Google. Adobe's one is Primetime CDM. Widevine CDM afaik is in Chrome and works fine on linux too, but it is supposed to be run as NaCl, Google Native Client sanboxing thing that works only on chrome/ium https://github.com/nacl-webkit/chrom...y/widevine/cdm .

It's Adobe's one that lacks a Linux version.

Then sure it does not mean that the whole shebang isn't implemented like crap as usual so there are little projects that hack that in by stealing it from Chrome, https://github.com/i-rinat/gmp-widevine
    But that's not something Mozilla can do themselves officially as it's technically a license violation and blah blah blah.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 June 2016, 03:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• unixfan2001
    replied
    It's a DRM mechanism needed for applications such as Netflix.
    AFAIK, GNU/Linux versions of Firefox don't support DRM for political reasons, though I might be mistaken.

As for OS X: Yes. Pure POSIX implementations will work with little to no change. But there is more to OS X than POSIX and a different graphics stack.

Leave a comment:

• Hi-Angel
    replied
    Last edited by Hi-Angel; 07 June 2016, 12:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X