The New Control Center Is Being Worked On For GNOME 3.22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    what would be Great to see an im sure its been Bugged or a RFE about it, i would like to see Gnome-Tweak-Tool inside Gnome Control Center, an not a standalone Download App , but yes this New Design og Control Center is much better than having to click on icons an happening to go back each time, i find it easier to use if its designed in a " Tree " like thingy which makes it easier to navigate
    I can't see that one happening... It's basically a split between "Normal settings" and "Advanced settings"
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Wishlist
      1. Launch a Plug directly from CLI
      eg: gnome-control-center-alt --plug=sound

* That way I can add a .desktop launcher and use the plug as a App Volume Mixer by binding the .sh to <Super> + V for Volume.
      Unless this has been removed this should be possible already. I could launch the wacom panel by executing "gnome-control-center wacom". I'm not using gnome right now though.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

My point is that this is not pointless. I'm interested in writing a GNOME Control Center panel, and although this means pending incompatibility, it's a far superiour design. I have nothing against genuine improvements. Chrome OS just got "material design tabs and navigation bars" for effectively no reason. They've changed their configuration panels a lot, they just swapped out the downloads page and the extensions page with something not notably better in any way shape or form. You just don't notice the churn as much because Chrome OS has essentially no functionality that doesn't come from third-party apps.

This is a clear case of zero project management from Gnome people. There have been years of development and tons of functionality is still missing. So instead of adding some more options people rewrite stuff just for fun.
        I can understand that this is part of the open source mentality but it also means that at the end the project is not working even for basic scenarios, like setting a basic VPN connection. Sure there is a UI but it is not working as well as in other OS.

People still check on driver status and performance but there is no functional UI to use them. I had a lot of faith in Gnome especially during Gnome 2 and I had high expectations from Gnome 3.

Now I believe it is a dead project practically going nowhere, maybe useful for university students to practice coding on some application.

What can somebody say when the most important application (a proper IDE so that others can write apps) is missing after almost 20 years of development ?

Comment

Am I the only one that feels like the Gnome team is trying to follow Windows 10? I genuinely hate the new Windows 10 control panel, since they've hidden away so much stuff I want to change behind extra layers of settings. But the left-side navigation bar might not be such a bad idea, as long as you can actually find stuff there.

Comment

How many rewrites do they need to finally come up with GUI for mouse acceleration ON/OFF setting...

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              That's literally the entire purpose of the project, if you want to run GNOME 2.x, you're entirely welcome to; I'm sure somebody is still maintaining it.

I welcome this completely. The current Control Center is clunky to navigate since you can't go directly from one panel to another as you have to go back to the panel selector home each time. This is bad design picked up from Apple's OS X System Preferences application, which is perhaps not their best.
              I think the point being made isn't that people are against rewriting stuff when that change is necessary, but that there appears from the outside to be a large amount of code churn for questionable benefit.

Put it this way - if you were to write down the top 10 reasons why Gnome on Linux is not the best and most popular desktop in the world, and for each reason write a proposed solution to tackle the issue - then would "control center UI poor = rewrite control center" be in your list?

Comment

Lots of haters here apparently...

I do use GNOME 3 everyday, I welcome this kind of changes/rewrite that improve the overall UX of the desktop.

iznogood: I have a VPN for my work and it's easier to set up than in Windows or Mac. And what about GNOME Builder for an IDE?

chrisb: The fact that you don't like GNOME doesn't make it objectively the worst in the world, it's merely your opinion. In the meantime, GNOME is one of the most used DE "in the world".

Comment

I like GNOME 3 the way it is (in general), but as always, there's a few niggles here and there:

1) Allow us to change top panel font!
                  2) Better access to startup entries
                  3) Reduce icon size

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                    Lots of haters here apparently...

I do use GNOME 3 everyday, I welcome this kind of changes/rewrite that improve the overall UX of the desktop.

Guest: I have a VPN for my work and it's easier to set up than in Windows or Mac. And what about https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Builder&quot;]GNOME Builder[/URL] for an IDE?

Guest: The fact that you don't like GNOME doesn't make it objectively the worst in the world, it's merely your opinion. In the meantime, GNOME is one of the most used DE &quot;in the world&quot;.
                    You must be joking. Have you tried to import an OpenVpn file into network manager ? I was unable to do it and I spent a good amount of time searching. It took five minutes to set it up in Android.
                    Also have you ever tried to write something with gnome builder? It is unstable and unusable at this stage, lets talk about it in ten years. Monodevelop is working at least.
                    Listen, I have been involved with Linux since 2000, compiling kernels, testing stuff etc. I enjoyed the compiz wars and all that era, and I hoped that things might move forward.
                    But it seems I am getting too old to spend time fighting the system anymore. I need to spend time on more productive matters that trying to workaround broken stuff.
                    If the desktop had a leader like Torvalds then something might work. But with these people... sorry it is a failure. In other cases this project should be finished in 2 years (gnome 3). How many years is it under development without a proper text editor (not to mention word processor or IDE)?
                    The apps are just toys, you can not do any real work with them

Comment

Just to make it clear. I am no troll or anything, I hope something comes out of that effort.
                      But I am hugely disappointed.

If you call that hatred, I assure you it is not. This is the first year since 2000 I use Windows more than Linux, but I have no choice really

Comment

Working...
                      X