Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Control Center Is Being Worked On For GNOME 3.22

Phoronix: The New Control Center Is Being Worked On For GNOME 3.22

If all goes well, the GNOME 3.22 release due out in September will feature a new Control Center user-interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These guys have nothing better to do than to rewrite stuff every season.

Comment

Originally posted by meekteef View Post
      These guys have nothing better to do than to rewrite stuff every season.
      That's literally the entire purpose of the project, if you want to run GNOME 2.x, you're entirely welcome to; I'm sure somebody is still maintaining it.

I welcome this completely. The current Control Center is clunky to navigate since you can't go directly from one panel to another as you have to go back to the panel selector home each time. This is bad design picked up from Apple's OS X System Preferences application, which is perhaps not their best.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        That's literally the entire purpose of the project, if you want to run GNOME 2.x, you're entirely welcome to; I'm sure somebody is still maintaining it.

I welcome this completely. The current Control Center is clunky to navigate since you can't go directly from one panel to another as you have to go back to the panel selector home each time. This is bad design picked up from Apple's OS X System Preferences application, which is perhaps not their best.
        I'm quite happy with GNOME 3. I just don't see the point of endlessly rewriting and, in the process, breaking stuff. Android for ChromeOS can't come quick enough.

Comment

I'm quite happy with GNOME 3. I just don't see the point of endlessly rewriting and, in the process, breaking stuff. Android for ChromeOS can't come quick enough.

My point is that this is not pointless. I'm interested in writing a GNOME Control Center panel, and although this means pending incompatibility, it's a far superiour design. I have nothing against genuine improvements. Chrome OS just got "material design tabs and navigation bars" for effectively no reason. They've changed their configuration panels a lot, they just swapped out the downloads page and the extensions page with something not notably better in any way shape or form. You just don't notice the churn as much because Chrome OS has essentially no functionality that doesn't come from third-party apps.

Comment

Doesn't seem like that big of a shift, since all it does is add in a side panel with the full listing. I'm curious to see if they are re-organizing the main view as well. Over all, I like it. And if it helps out on smaller screens then all the better.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Some gnome update on Arch fixed window move stutter today. Moving stuff around on 144Hz monitor looks good now.

Comment

Wishlist
                1. Launch a Plug directly from CLI
                eg: gnome-control-center-alt --plug=sound

* That way I can add a .desktop launcher and use the plug as a App Volume Mixer by binding the .sh to <Super> + V for Volume.

2. Ability to resize control center window

3. AMDGPU plug or driver agnostic plug to control common settings of Intel, Nvidia and AMD GPUs.

4. Startup Applications plug so I don't have to go to Gnome Tweak to edit Startup Apps

5. Gnome Extensions Enable/Disable plug so I don't have to install and use Gnome Tweak

6. I really like Cerbre from ElementaryOS that respawns services and apps if their process dies, I would love a Gnome plug that does this.

Comment

-the goddamn app drawer needs to also have categories like main menu, and user-selectable icon size

-the lock screen should stop locking up the whole GUI, if it gets locked up it should at least restart the GUI or whatever.

Who cares of control center that I see only in the first 3 hours then I never open again.

Comment

what would be Great to see an im sure its been Bugged or a RFE about it, i would like to see Gnome-Tweak-Tool inside Gnome Control Center, an not a standalone Download App , but yes this New Design og Control Center is much better than having to click on icons an happening to go back each time, i find it easier to use if its designed in a " Tree " like thingy which makes it easier to navigate
                    Last edited by Anvil; 28 May 2016, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X