Ubuntu MATE 16.10 Moving To GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
    @Akka: I obviously don't agree. In my experience people quite quickly adapt to Mate (or Cinnamon). And not to Gnome shell or KDE. Usability and consistancy matters. And exactly OSX and Windows have proven that.
    I think many people born at the 70 and 80 is still accustomed to this paradigm. But with the disappearance of windows 7 this is is going to slowly change. Already today I prefer to give something like gnome or elementary to my parents. Not because it is more logical butbecause it was 10 years ago they used something like windows xp and are accustomed to the osx paradigm. The absens of a window list is not a big or revolutionary thing for them as they probably don't even remember how it was to use one.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      So, without Budgie, what mode is Gnome 3 in?
      Don't tell me touchscreen, either, b/c it is,currently, terrible at that (but it's getting better).
      Gnome 3 is in Windows 8 mode, but to the contrary of win8 it sucks at touch, so it manages to be crap at desktop while also being crap at touch, stealing the crown to Win8 that was crap at desktop but good on touch (no duh, they cloned winphone code).

I'm using it because I eventually want to use the touchscreen, and apart from Unity that I'm NOT touching because reasons, Gnome3 is the closest we have to "touch-friendly interface".

But I'm getting annoyed at the stupid bugs it has, like say the screen locker that 1 in 3 times locks up everything for good and I can only get in from another tty or reboot, or the fact that tty1 is always wasted with a weird blank page while GNOME runs on tty2.

Will try out deepin DE (apple-inspired-but-not-too-much DE from china).

Ah yes, the laptop is on Manjaro, but I've seen threads of my issues by everyone else too.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 26 May 2016, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
        I think many people born at the 70 and 80 is still accustomed to this paradigm. But with the disappearance of windows 7 this is is going to slowly change. Already today I prefer to give something like gnome or elementary to my parents. Not because it is more logical butbecause it was 10 years ago they used something like windows xp and are accustomed to the osx paradigm. The absens of a window list is not a big or revolutionary thing for them as they probably don't even remember how it was to use one.
        FYI: Windows 10 still works more or less the same, it disguises as a tablet but the start button, task bar, tray stuff and all that jazz is still here. The old paradigm isn't dead, Windows cannot drop it.
        OSX users are a TINY minority.

Comment

That is good Mate go to Gtk3,(I tested the past year not good experience but was on beta mode so was something to expect), so all the users will have an old style DE with gtk library update it, since my point of view this's good news for any user want to use an old de style At begining I don't like Mate idea, first because was something to fork because a lot of people don't like the new gnome 3 way, right now gnome 3 is doing great I used and is different and have some options you can customize that won't make you crazy as KDE, personal experience I prefer it than Unity, my King DE is Xfce the only downside I see they took a lot to make a huge change as port it to some new library, but it's rock, solid and very customizable, even the years pass and doesn't feel like old style look, because you can make similar option as new DE.

Comment

As for different UI's, I've used them through the years.
            Atari, Amiga, Archimedes, SunOS, CDE, Motif, Irix, Next, Windows 1.0 up to Windows 10, MacOS, OSX etc. etc.

@bug77: considering Windows or OSX.
            * The OSX UI has been very consistent through the past decades.
            * Microsoft tried a new paradigm with Windows 8 and moved back to the old one.

@akka: change isn't necessarily bad, but I feel it has to improve at least something.
            "If it works, don't change it" and the KISS principle are still very much valid.

My 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              So, without Budgie, what mode is Gnome 3 in?
              Don't tell me touchscreen, either, b/c it is,currently, terrible at that (but it's getting better).
              Just installed Deepin
              It fixes stupid GNOME things like "let's bunch together all the apps" so the default tablet-like menu is actually usable if you have more than 10 applications. So far it's nice.

Comment

Noob question here. Will this affect what apps can be bundled with Mate DE? For example, if Mint Mate switches to GTK3 (which I assume they will at some point) would they be able to drop Caja and put Nemo in there?

Comment

Originally posted by tdima View Post
                  Noob question here. Will this affect what apps can be bundled with Mate DE? For example, if Mint Mate switches to GTK3 (which I assume they will at some point) would they be able to drop Caja and put Nemo in there?
                  They're already able to do that if they wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Gnome 3 is in Windows 8 mode, but to the contrary of win8 it sucks at touch, so it manages to be crap at desktop while also being crap at touch, stealing the crown to Win8 that was crap at desktop but good on touch (no duh, they cloned winphone code).

I'm using it because I eventually want to use the touchscreen, and apart from Unity that I'm NOT touching because reasons, Gnome3 is the closest we have to "touch-friendly interface".

But I'm getting annoyed at the stupid bugs it has, like say the screen locker that 1 in 3 times locks up everything for good and I can only get in from another tty or reboot, or the fact that tty1 is always wasted with a weird blank page while GNOME runs on tty2.

Will try out deepin DE (apple-inspired-but-not-too-much DE from china).

Ah yes, the laptop is on Manjaro, but I've seen threads of my issues by everyone else too.
                    If you want the lockups to stop you need to get off dem blobs

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Just installed Deepin
                      It fixes stupid GNOME things like "let's bunch together all the apps" so the default tablet-like menu is actually usable if you have more than 10 applications. So far it's nice.
                      If I understand you, then, there are extensions for this.
                      If you're comfortable navigating with your keyboard (such as when using awesome or ratpoison) then those kinds of issues kinda go away.

Comment

Working...
                      X