Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu MATE 16.10 Moving To GTK3

Phoronix: Ubuntu MATE 16.10 Moving To GTK3

The Ubuntu MATE folks have laid out some of their plans for their next release of this desktop derivative of Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So... it will be cinnamon?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

lol - nice troll Ericg

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Yes, and lxqt = Plasma 5, because both use Qt5.

Comment

It will be GNOME 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
            .. because both use Qt5.
            Not quite the same as you probably know, because MATE and Cinnamon tried to achieve Gnome 2 look-and-feel, one using the olds GTK2 and another using the new GTK3

Comment

How nice, never ending broken themes inc...

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                Yes, and lxqt = Plasma 5, because both use Qt5.
                A more accurate relationship would be someone saying "I'm gonna port KDE 4 to Qt5!" And calling it a new project. LxQt and KDE are in fact different and have different aims. GTK3!Mate and Cinnamon are going to be direct mirrors of eachother. This is basically forking for forking's sake.

I would be very interested in a frank answer from the Mate devs why they see porting as the answer, rather than just declaring Cinnamon the successor to Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                  lol - nice troll Guest
                  I was only half joking

Comment

A more accurate relationship would be someone saying "I'm gonna port KDE 4 to Qt5!" And calling it a new project. LxQt and KDE are in fact different and have different aims. GTK3!Mate and Cinnamon are going to be direct mirrors of eachother. This is basically forking for forking's sake.

I would be very interested in a frank answer from the Mate devs why they see porting as the answer, rather than just declaring Cinnamon the successor to Mate.
                    There's GNOME and GTK+. GNOME 2 used GTK2, GNOME 3 uses GTK3.

Cinnamon is a fork of GNOME 3 + GTK3.
                    Mate was a fork of GNOME 2 + GTK2 and is moving towards a fork of GNOME 2 + GTK3.

But as far as I know, the differences between the non-GTK GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 code are still huge. So it's inaccurate to call the two projects mirrors of each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X