Lumina Desktop 0.9 Adds Window Compositing Support, New Text Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nasyt View Post

"It supports competition" - since when it that bad?

Every time in run into GPL code, the first thing I do is to reimplement it from scratch. Then I put my rewrite under the MIT license or Apache license.

I believe, the GPL is an obstacle, and commercial software has to work around it in very weird ways.
    Since always. Only idiots support their own competitors. GPL is a big obstacle for stupid companies like apple and ms. And this is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      GPL is a big obstacle for stupid companies like apple and ms.
      Unlike Apple, MS has written their entire OS themself. Apple also didn't made a great deal out of closing up their Kernel. The reason, why their code didn't land in FBSD is AFAIK, becaus Apple sublicensed it under a Mozilla-style weak copyleft license, the APSL. Their proprietary code lives in the user mode. The GUI and the Libraries, that the proprietary part. The same thing would have worked with the Linux kernel too, as the GPL covers the kernel but not the user-space programs/libraries - except som of the GNU tools and libraries.

By the way, there is a closed source (except the Kernel) OS based on Android-x86: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remix_OS

Comment

Unlike Apple, MS has written their entire OS themself.
        Except the parts written by IBM, inherited from OS/2.

Apple also didn't made a great deal out of closing up their Kernel. The reason, why their code didn't land in FBSD is AFAIK, becaus Apple sublicensed it under a Mozilla-style weak copyleft license, the APSL
        The OSX kernel is not based on FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          ... The OSX kernel is not based on FreeBSD.
          Yes, OS X is based on XNU/NeXT (acquired by Apple) which in turn is based on a Mach kernel and BSD components.

Comment

Working...
          X