Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.22 Is Working On An OpenGL Renderer & Scene Graph

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.22 Is Working On An OpenGL Renderer & Scene Graph

Matthias Clasen of Red Hat has written an update about changes to GNOME's GTK+ tool-kit for the 3.20 cycle but he also mentions some of the exciting work that's brewing for GNOME/GTK+ 3.22...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was pretty soured on GTK+ 3.x by how only the themes they maintain seem to be able to keep up with their API changes but, if GTK+ 3.x really is an unstable series that just got mis-represented like KDE 4.0 and GTK+ 4.x can let the themes which maintain a more classic appearance catch up, I might re-evaluate my decision to upgrade my desktop and my own programming projects from GTK+ 2.x to Qt.

(One of the non-negotiable things for me is a system which allows me to opt out of those in-titlebar action buttons because they're spitting in the eye of decades of Human-Computer Interaction research about how to lay out a dialog.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      I was pretty soured on GTK+ 3.x by how only the themes they maintain seem to be able to keep up with their API changes but, if GTK+ 3.x really is an unstable series that just got mis-represented like KDE 4.0 and GTK+ 4.x can let the themes which maintain a more classic appearance catch up, I might re-evaluate my decision to upgrade my desktop and my own programming projects from GTK+ 2.x to Qt.

(One of the non-negotiable things for me is a system which allows me to opt out of those in-titlebar action buttons because they're spitting in the eye of decades of Human-Computer Interaction research about how to lay out a dialog.)
      A big thing for GTK+3.x is to provide an API for themes. That never existed before, That this would be troublesome during the entire 3.x series was announced before 3.0.0 came out and has been repeated in the various announcements and blogposts many times.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

A big thing for GTK+3.x is to provide an API for themes. That never existed before, That this would be troublesome during the entire 3.x series was announced before 3.0.0 came out and has been repeated in the various announcements and blogposts many times.
        While I probably should have looked into that, I have to admit that I never really cared why until the answer came to me. My interest was purely in the end result, which was that I couldn't rely on an acceptable theme being available because the core "guaranteed to be compatible" themes had taken a different direction.

(It also didn't help that the LXDE developers gave up on GTK+ 3.x and decided to port to Qt instead. I was in their mailing list during that and no mention was ever made of GTK+ 3.x being an unstable series.)

Comment

Working...
        X