Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 47 Beta Enables VP9, Embedded YouTube Videos Use HTML5

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firefox 47 Beta Enables VP9, Embedded YouTube Videos Use HTML5

    Phoronix: Firefox 47 Beta Enables VP9, Embedded YouTube Videos Use HTML5

    Running hot off this week's release of Firefox 46 is the beta release issued by Mozilla for Firefox 47...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Beta-Released

  • #2
    and the VP9 video codec is enabled for users with "fast machines."
    But I though VP was enabled for everybody in Firefox 28? See https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTUzODA

    Comment


    • #3
      Now that Firefox 46 got GTK3 support, I hope that Firefox 47 gets Wayland support.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, I think there has been GTK3 support for a while in Firefox, but honouring their tradition, Mozilla disabled it again shortly before releasing 46.
        Also, I've been using HTML5 on youtube for a while, how is this a feature of Firefox 47?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Well, I think there has been GTK3 support for a while in Firefox, but honouring their tradition, Mozilla disabled it again shortly before releasing 46.
          Also, I've been using HTML5 on youtube for a while, how is this a feature of Firefox 47?
          Some websites embed YouTube videos with Flash, so Firefox rewrites the source of the pages to use the HTML5 version.
          For example, on the UNESCO website, this page http://whc.unesco.org/include/tool_v...=eAhhk8eTZH4?1 has:
          Code:
          <object width="100%" height="470">
          <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAhhk8eTZH4?1?version=3&amp;hl=fr_FR&amp;rel=0"></param>
          <param name="autoplay" value="1"></param>
          <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
          <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
          <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAhhk8eTZH4?1?version=3&amp;hl=fr_FR&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%" height="470" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" autoplay="1"></embed>
          </object>

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Well, I think there has been GTK3 support for a while in Firefox, but honouring their tradition, Mozilla disabled it again shortly before releasing 46.
            I don't think they have disabled it, actually. For me the look changed a bit with the update and Firefox is using some GTK 3 libraries.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by marco-c View Post

              Some websites embed YouTube videos with Flash, so Firefox rewrites the source of the pages to use the HTML5 version.
              For example, on the UNESCO website, this page http://whc.unesco.org/include/tool_v...=eAhhk8eTZH4?1 has:
              Code:
              <object width="100%" height="470">
              <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAhhk8eTZH4?1?version=3&amp;hl=fr_FR&amp;rel=0"></param>
              <param name="autoplay" value="1"></param>
              <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>
              <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param>
              <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eAhhk8eTZH4?1?version=3&amp;hl=fr_FR&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%" height="470" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" autoplay="1"></embed>
              </object>
              Ok, that's neat. Even if rewriting page source may have to potential to be turned into an exploit

              Comment


              • #8
                I had changed some flags a year ago to play HTML5 when it was experimental. Now I renamed the settings folder, start it up, HTML5 and VP9 are default in Youtube and embedded pages, in Firefox 46.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sharkwouter View Post

                  I don't think they have disabled it, actually. For me the look changed a bit with the update and Firefox is using some GTK 3 libraries.
                  You're right, I was thinking of a different feature actually (APZ). My bad.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yeah, cool, how about some H.265 support instead. That may actually make sense.

                    Btw: https://i.imgur.com/FHUpJ5h.jpg

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X