PulseAudio Adds Memfd Transport Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    You blame ALSA for the fact that PA uses the interface in ways that ALSA isn't designed to handle. There is nothing an ALSA driver can do about it
    it is demostrably false. most drivers bugs were fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      it is demostrably false. most drivers bugs were fixed.
      Whatever, You can have your opinion. It's still long past due for something proper.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
        this is a stupid idea.
        there is nothing wrong with ringbuffers, while this adds overhead for absolutely no benefit.
        the only one insanely stupid here is you. there is nothing preventing implementing ringbuffer over memfd. memfd is a way to pass mapping to this ringbuffer between processes without central registry/mounted filesystem and disallow killing server by truncating mapping.
        Last edited by pal666; 27 April 2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Whatever, You can have your opinion.
          i stated fact, not opinion. you have opinion that interface is bad. i have no idea whether this is true. maybe it is bad and in need of replacement. but it demonstrably can be worked around

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
            What about alsa's dmix? Does it degrade too?
            If you have hardware mixing, can't you just have pulseaudio and your music player running at the same time?
            If you don't have hardware mixing, why not just use pasuspender, since your other programs won't be able to play sounds anyway?
            AFAIK dmix isn't used, just hardware mixing. But why deal with crap sounding audio everywhere else like games? As for not having hardware mixing... I haven't found a computer yet that couldn't play multiple audio streams with just ALSA so why bother with PA?

Comment

because it just works

so you had broken distro but you prefer to remove perfectly working software instead. why not distro? it seems that pulseaudio is only hated by crazy people
              ...People who use Arch are crazy then? That's pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
                ...People who use Arch are crazy then? That's pretty funny.
                i'm pretty sure there are plenty people using arch with pulseaudio. removing pulseaudio forever due to long ago fixed problem somewhere else is crazy

Comment

Am I the only one who believes in the KISS principle? The smaller a program the easier it is to fix bugs, that should be obvious.
                  How long did it take to make PulseAudio usable I wonder, and will it stay that way?
                  Maybe we should just call the opposite of the KISS principle the Lennart Poettering principle.
                  Does anyone remember why LibreSSL got started? Cutting the unused crap out of OpenSSL made it more secure and stable!

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

Can you actually use ALSA with multiple programs at once without special hardware?
                    Yes ALSA with dmix plugin does that easily.

Comment

i'm pretty sure there are plenty people using arch with pulseaudio. removing pulseaudio forever due to long ago fixed problem somewhere else is crazy
                      ...so you're going to ignore everything else just so you have some imaginary ammo to throw back? That individual bug was an issue for months before it got fixed. You think after that (and everything else) I have ANY faith in pulseaudio or the people maintaining it? PAs horrible mixing is still ever present and can't be fixed because that's a part of Pulseaudio's "amazing" feature set.
                      I think Poettering fanboys might be worse than Musk fanboys.
                      Last edited by SaucyJack; 27 April 2016, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X