Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xamarin's 2016 Conference Starts, Open-Source SDK Available

Phoronix: Xamarin's 2016 Conference Starts, Open-Source SDK Available

As most Phoronix readers will certainly recall, Microsoft bought out Xamarin, the company co-founded by Miguel de Icaza and focused around Mono technologies, and last month announced they would open-source the Xamarin SDK. Microsoft is making good on their word this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Im so glad than microsoft bought Xamarin. This means than all the features of xamarin studio are coming very soon to the linux version of monodevelop

Comment

Does this mean you don't need a license for Mono on Android now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
        Does this mean you don't need a license for Mono on Android now?

Yes. They announced that at Build 2016. It is available through the community edition of VS on Windows, and through Xamarin on Mac and Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
          Im so glad than microsoft bought Xamarin. This means than all the features of xamarin studio are coming very soon to the linux version of monodevelop
          More M$ virus on Linux then. Just avoid this slow, utter crap, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

More M$ virus on Linux then. Just avoid this slow, utter crap, please.
            I may or may not use it. But as a developer who has extensively used GTK, it's hard for me to dismiss anything Miguel de Icaza as "utter crap". An Open Source license speaks for itself. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

I may or may not use it. But as a developer who has extensively used GTK, it's hard for me to dismiss anything Miguel de Icaza as "utter crap". An Open Source license speaks for itself. YMMV.
              What license? I took a brief look at one of the repositories and didn't find any license notice …

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

What license? I took a brief look at one of the repositories and didn't find any license notice …
                MIT license. From http://open.xamarin.com/documentation
                "Xamarin is built on Mono, an open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET Framework based on the ECMA standards for C# and the Common Language Runtime."

From http://www.mono-project.com/docs/faq/licensing/
                "The Mono runtime, compilers and tools and most of the class libraries are licensed under the MIT license.
                Note that as of March 31st, 2016 the Mono runtime and tools have been relicensed to the MIT license."

Comment

It's worth noting how this "new" Microsoft closed down RoboVM as part of its Xamarin acquisition. Of course, given how cool this company is and how deeply they love Linux and opensource, there's no doubt they will soon release its source code so the community can continue the work.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

I understand, but Miguel de Icaza betrayed Gnome and FLOSS.

Comment

Working...
                    X