Vivaldi 1.1 Web Browser Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post

The source code extracted reveals that chromium is 2.7gb while everything else is 3mb.
    That's the actual size of it; you can read more about it from the official Chromium pages about its size and the reason why it's so massive and bloated. They explain everything about their decision.

Comment

I was testing Vivaldi these days. It retains Chrome speed and add-ons but with a more bloated interface. Is not that bad actually, just some time to adjust to it.

The really nice part is the tabs management, but that is for people who have more than 10 open at the same time. Other nice thing is the possibilite to have several pages open at the same window, is great to compare stuff.

The things that really bugs me are that it always open a new tab when you click a bookmark, and a bug when you cannot move between folders in the bookmark bar after the first click. You always need to click a folder to open it. Chrome has this bug some time ago.

Comment

I'm more of a Firefox user at around 80% to 90% and the rest is Chromium. Since Vivaldi is not an open source project 100%, I won't use it as my system (Debian) will definitely not port it to their official repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen82 View Post
          What's the point sharing it then if it's copyrighted and can't use it freely unless I ask for permission? :/
          For example:
          Being able to compile for CPU platforms like armv7.
          Being able to port to platforms like Haiku.
          Being able to properly debug and create proper bug reports.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen82 View Post
            I guess I was actually wrong by posting about Vivaldi being open source. Just because they are offering its source code doesn't mean it is. I downloaded it myself (quite fast on my side, 11 minutes only) and the majority of source files have a Vivaldi copyright.

What's the point sharing it then if it's copyrighted and can't use it freely unless I ask for permission? :/
            I can't tell if this is a joke or serious. *Everything* is subject to copyright, open-source or not... Firefox, the Linux kernel, even the software produced by the FSF. Assuming something can in fact be copyrighted, then in most legal jurisdictions, copyright is automatically applied. The real test for whether something is open or not is the license the code is released under.

That's the beauty of something like the GPL - it's a clever hack on top of copyright, because it relies on the fact that "no rights whatsoever" is the default position if you don't accept the terms of the license that gives you additional rights. All the open-source licenses work the same way, but the GPL effectively weaponised it...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              What you gonna do with the humongous source code of a web browser, audit it yourself?
              Open source is a thing mostly because the code can be fixed by third parties too, so you don't get stuff that runs unpatched for ages just because the creators lack the resources to do so, also if the project is going downhill, it can be saved by forking it. Proprietary code sinks with the ship.

Open code is also easier to audit, but that's done by pros only in some occasions, plus all the wannabe hackers that need something to learn auditing on.

What is the logic of bitching about proprietary browser software, when you use e-mail services like Gmail?
              What is the logic of assuming that people bitching about browser software is using Gmail or any other service?
              Also, what is the logic behind the "they spy my mail, so let's not bitch about being spied on browsing too"?

People love to say Chrome is spyware, when is Firefox that keeps checked more options to "phone home" by default. And the EULA of the plugins Mozilla deliver in modern version of its browser, are a eye opener.
              Firefox still allows to install plugins/extensions that give you the power on what you browse.

And the browser is only half of the privacy/security issue. You have to blindingly thrust sites, because you cannot audit then. Or you use their services, or not.
              Noscript, uBlock Origin, uMatrix, <(something to change the browser agent I forgot the name of)> say hello.

No, I don't have to blindly trust sites. I block and lockdown all I can, sure something has to be allowed.

But I can surf on sites that have 20 other trackers, redirects, ads, crap, and so on with leaving only 1-2 javascripts active, not 20.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                What you gonna do with the humongous source code of a web browser, audit it yourself?
                Open source is a thing mostly because the code can be fixed by third parties too, so you don't get stuff that runs unpatched for ages just because the creators lack the resources to do so, also if the project is going downhill, it can be saved by forking it. Proprietary code sinks with the ship.

Open code is also easier to audit, but that's done by pros only in some occasions, plus all the wannabe hackers that need something to learn auditing on.

What is the logic of bitching about proprietary browser software, when you use e-mail services like Gmail?
                What is the logic of assuming that people bitching about browser software is using Gmail or any other service?
                Also, what is the logic behind the "they spy my mail, so let's not bitch about being spied on browsing too"?

People love to say Chrome is spyware, when is Firefox that keeps checked more options to "phone home" by default. And the EULA of the plugins Mozilla deliver in modern version of its browser, are a eye opener.
                Firefox still allows to install plugins/extensions that give you the power on what you browse.

And the browser is only half of the privacy/security issue. You have to blindingly thrust sites, because you cannot audit then. Or you use their services, or not.
                Noscript, uBlock Origin, uMatrix, <(something to change the browser agent I forgot the name of)> say hello.

No, I don't have to blindly trust sites. I block and lockdown all I can, sure something has to be allowed.

But I can surf on sites that have 20 other trackers, redirects, ads, crap, and so on with leaving only 1-2 javascripts active, not 20.

Comment

I still don't get it...
                  Is it actually open source?
                  Is open source, but not free?
                  What's with the size of those files?

Source code is just text.
                  Besides that, it's compressed with the best compression algorithm
                  I don't understand why it is bigger even than Linux kernel.

Comment

I tried it a few times and it was OK. I wish they had an option to adjust page-scroll speed. What's up with the hate here for Open Source? Some of you seem to be pushing love for Closed Source material. Is it not good to be able to look at the Code if one wanted to? I'm not against Closed Code and I understand a Company's Fear of Competition from releasing Code but It's like Patents, it stifles progress and enslaves users.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Gmail is only a example. I used it to say that, once you put data out of your computer, it's gone. So you have to thrust the other side, be it Google, Amazon, Ebay, FSF or the individual who got a e-mail/instant message from you. They have your data, not matter what browser/OS you use, you have no way to control what happens next.

My point is, there is much more about security/privacy than browsers. Your OS, computer, router, modem, ISP (ad injection), etc, all full of firmware blobs. All of then are a security problem. So there is only a limited number of things, that you have control, to keep your privacy/security. That's not to say that any effort you do about it is a waist. But someday you can realize that all that paranoid behavior resulted in nothing, because they got info about you anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X