Firefox 46.0 Is Ready To Ship, GTK3 Support Appears Finally Baked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke View Post

Yeah-if you like being tracked. I never once found a way to make Chromium not come up unique in Panopticlick. I would not trust a closed Google binary-even one based on open code with "extras" added on any machine that needs to not phone home with my personal information. I use the DRM free branch of Firefox with a lot of features I don't use or want turned off. Why pay for Netflix and DRM anyway? If you really want Hollywood movies or TV shows, use Bittorrent. Transmisson is a fine client, I've found it handy to fetch installer images that are about the size of movies.
    Why pay for Netflix? Seriously?
    At some point in the not terribly distant future the wealthy countries, at least, still move to a mincome scheme (this has already started in a few places but it's far from widespread). Around that time people will be able to work on what they want without fear of being unable to pay their rent/mortgage (at some further point our currency economy will need to be seriously reevaluated, but that's at least a couple decades away, IMHO). It's at the point when needs (not just essential) are met by default that I'll be completely comfortable torrenting whatever. Until then, if you can afford it (this is a really important point), you need to pay for the content whenever possible (ignoring captive audience extortion, ofc).
    If someone doesn't pay for it, the content stops being made.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      Are you talking about Adobe in general or Primetime in particular? If the latter, any pointers to Primetime's vulnerabilities?

Netflix *is* HTML5. And I think they still support Silverlight.

They need DRM or Hollywood won't give them any of their content. And DRM means either HTML5 with EME/CDM or fully proprietary plugins like Flash and Silverlight.

The point of DRM was never to protect the user. It's meant to "protect" the content from being pirated. Whether it really achieves anything against piracy (my personal view is that DRM and its inevitable interoperability issues encourage piracy rather than reduce it) is irrelevant, Hollywood demands DRM, so Netflix will use it.

Your boycott call is misplaced, instead of targetting Netflix, you should target Hollywood and their backwards content delivery practices.
      Well, you're definitely right about hollywood. I don't think people should just boycott netflix, they are only part of it.

Comment

I just installed Firefox 46 in my system (Gnome 3.20 + Cinnamon 2.8.6). Apart from the missing scrollbars, I am seeing a problem with context menus. When I right click somewhere, the context menu opens in a different part of the screen (toward the left), and any cascaded submenus open in yet another part (toward the right).

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is there already a bug for this?

Comment

Tooltips are also misplaced, checkboxes and radio buttons are not rendered... Firefox 46 on Linux may be technically great, but it is full of bugs. Just downgraded to v45.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            Your boycott call is misplaced, instead of targetting Netflix, you should target Hollywood and their backwards content delivery practices.
            Whitewashing Netflix is pointless. They make their own films now, and where exactly are they DRM-free? None to be found. Netflix are part of this corrupted DRM industry, and they do nothing to break the cycle. They are as complicit as those publishers who insist on putting DRM on everything. So not using Netflix (or any other distributor which uses DRM) is a proper stance. The only ones who tried to break that situation with video were GOG, but they failed. See https://www.gog.com/forum/general/in...movies/post499

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Why pay for Netflix? Seriously?
              At some point in the not terribly distant future the wealthy countries, at least, still move to a mincome scheme (this has already started in a few places but it's far from widespread). Around that time people will be able to work on what they want without fear of being unable to pay their rent/mortgage (at some further point our currency economy will need to be seriously reevaluated, but that's at least a couple decades away, IMHO). It's at the point when needs (not just essential) are met by default that I'll be completely comfortable torrenting whatever. Until then, if you can afford it (this is a really important point), you need to pay for the content whenever possible (ignoring captive audience extortion, ofc).
              If someone doesn't pay for it, the content stops being made.
              Not the kind of content I care the most about and produce myself. I produce activist news and have to compete with paid competitors, so the removal of paid competitors and the viewpoints they are paid to promote from the field would be a direct benefit to me. For Facebook and Twitter to go extinct would bring back the age of activist news being served from secure activist-owned servers that wipe IP logs and against which police raids and subpeonas are useless.

Amateur moviemakers and musicians would find far more interest in their work if they did not have to compete with Hollywood, and if someone searching for a genre was not so spammed with paid product that the rest of it appears on Page 50 of their online search.

Comment

Originally posted by adlerhn View Post
                Tooltips are also misplaced, checkboxes and radio buttons are not rendered... Firefox 46 on Linux may be technically great, but it is full of bugs. Just downgraded to v45.
                The missing widgets turned out to be a theming issue at least when using GTK 3.20. Try BlackMATE from GIT master, or the latest version of my UbuntuStudio_Legacy GTK theme from
                https://archive.org/details/DebianPa...stomPanelTheme
                which stands at version 2.1.2 at this moment. If not using Debian just copy the theme directory into /usr/share/themes, set the permissions to allow file access by all users, , and set it as your GTK theme.

For BlackMATE, just download the mate-themes master tarball from Github

and again copy the desired theme directory (BlackMATE) to /usr/share/themes, and set it as your GTK theme.

Then start up Firefox 46 and see your scrollbars and checkboxes return.
                Last edited by Luke; 28 April 2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post

Not the kind of content I care the most about and produce myself. I produce activist news and have to compete with paid competitors, so the removal of paid competitors and the viewpoints they are paid to promote from the field would be a direct benefit to me. For Facebook and Twitter to go extinct would bring back the age of activist news being served from secure activist-owned servers that wipe IP logs and against which police raids and subpeonas are useless.

Amateur moviemakers and musicians would find far more interest in their work if they did not have to compete with Hollywood, and if someone searching for a genre was not so spammed with paid product that the rest of it appears on Page 50 of their online search.
                  That's makes your position clearer.
                  I don't agree with it since I'm most interested in getting the most "interesting" and enjoyable work produced, regardless of where it comes from, but I understand your actions are ideological (as are everyone elses).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, there are browsers that use Qt (Rekonq is actually quite capable), so I'm not sure why they found Qt unsuitable. Either way, this discussion is purely academic: Mozilla already has browser.html. Which means they are at least considering moving from GTK, but they have their own path which does not include Qt.
                    And why are you saying moving to Qt would mean losing OS X users?
                    It is suitable to use in browsers. The problem with firefox is it is written in their own toolkit (as I understans it XUL). As I understands it firefox is only using gtk for the window and theming. This apperently is not how Qt is supposed to be used and they was not (at least back then) interested in supporting the usercase firefox needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post

It is suitable to use in browsers. The problem with firefox is it is written in their own toolkit (as I understans it XUL). As I understands it firefox is only using gtk for the window and theming. This apperently is not how Qt is supposed to be used and they was not (at least back then) interested in supporting the usercase firefox needed.
                      If that's the case, can you blame Qt? It's never a good idea to shape a framework around a single application, if the required changes are not trivial.

Comment

Working...
                      X