Firefox 46.0 Is Ready To Ship, GTK3 Support Appears Finally Baked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
    This automatically means Wayland support, right?
    Not yet. There are patches published (some time ago) but noone merged them upstream.

Currently neither firefox nor chromium work on wayland

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I do like the concept of Netflix, but it must be boycotted. Their reliance on Adobe software is a major security risk and performance bottleneck. It's both insecure and severely bottlenecked.
      Are you talking about Adobe in general or Primetime in particular? If the latter, any pointers to Primetime's vulnerabilities?

HTML5. That's all I'm going to say.
      Netflix *is* HTML5. And I think they still support Silverlight.

They don't need google or anyone else to support an HTML5 client.
      They need DRM or Hollywood won't give them any of their content. And DRM means either HTML5 with EME/CDM or fully proprietary plugins like Flash and Silverlight.

Ask yourself do DRM platforms protect your security? A standardized encrypted stream would do the task Netflix wants while protected the user.
      The point of DRM was never to protect the user. It's meant to "protect" the content from being pirated. Whether it really achieves anything against piracy (my personal view is that DRM and its inevitable interoperability issues encourage piracy rather than reduce it) is irrelevant, Hollywood demands DRM, so Netflix will use it.

Your boycott call is misplaced, instead of targetting Netflix, you should target Hollywood and their backwards content delivery practices.

Comment

And of course my post is caught in the moderator queue... Michael is it really not possible to disable this "Unapproved" crap? It's getting more annoying by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
          after last update in Nightly i lost scroolbars in Firefox when using GTK3, any know how to fix that?
          RESOLVED (nobody) in Core - Widget: Gtk. Last updated 2016-12-23.

It doesn't support GTK+3 3.20 just yet. I had a patch for Firefox 45.0 (backported by archlinux maintainer), but it doesn't apply to 46.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

RESOLVED (nobody) in Core - Widget: Gtk. Last updated 2016-12-23.

It doesn't support GTK+3 3.20 just yet. I had a patch for Firefox 45.0 (backported by archlinux maintainer), but it doesn't apply to 46.0.
            Well this is why GTK is shit :/. Get new future in a program supporting new lib - newest version brakes it -.-.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Was that with GTK3? With GTK2 it wasn't really usable, as developers explained in the bug I linked above:

I suppose to fully fix this, we need Wayland.
              Yeah, Wayland should end up providing a far more efficient drawing model. Ironically, by not providing one

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

GTK+3.x is focussing on guaranteeing stability on CSS classes. As announced before GTK+3.0.0 was released and announced many times after that. Since GTK+ 3.20.0 the various CSS classes are documented.

That's why you're trolling. The changes were announced and expected. They were made to improve things and all that effort led to a much improved situation for 3.20.0.
                Yeah, so this is something I've been seeing "lately" (that all of gtk3 is more of a development oriented release). I don't recall seeing anything about this prior to the release of gtk3, out even soon after.
                Do you have an official link?
                BTW, I'm not doubting you as I know at least one of the biggest gtk contributors (I THINK it was Bastien, but I'm not certain) spoke about how gtk3 wasn't intended to build large, complex applications (I think this was spoken in the context of apps like inkscape/gimp which require far more sophisticated widgets than gtk3 provides, and gtk3, at least at the time this was spoken, made it hard to build complex widgets).

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

Well this is why GTK is shit :/. Get new future in a program supporting new lib - newest version brakes it -.-.
                  Normal GTK applications usually don't break because of the changes, but Firefox isn't a normal GTK application, as far as I know it isn't build with native widgets. I'm not saying that it isn't annoying that new GTK releases regularly break things like themes, but you make it sound much worse than it is. I don't think that it is a good idea to use GTK for cross-platform apps like is done with Firefox.
                  Last edited by JonathanM; 26 April 2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealBecks View Post
                    I still don't understand what's missing to watch Netflix with Firefox on Linux :/ Is there any webseite listing what's missing to accomplish the missing features? I want to finally switch from Windows to Kubuntu and the last thing that holds me back, is the missing DRM support (and yeah, I don't like DRM, but there's actually no reasonable alternative solution).
                    AFAIK, the only thing missing is a Content Decryption Module (CDM). Firefox on Windows already has Adobe's Primetime CDM, but Adobe does not have a Linux version of Primetime.

Per this webpage: Watch DRM content on Firefox
                    Learn about Digital Rights Management (DRM) content in Firefox and how to disable and re-enable DRM playback or troubleshoot problems.

"Beginning in version 48, Firefox desktop also supports the Google Widevine CDM."

Google's Widevine CDM has Linux support. It is what Chrome uses to support Netflix on Linux. When Widevine is added to Firefox for Linux, it should enable Netflix.

Per the webpage below, Mozilla is testing Widevine on Windows and Mac, so I'm not sure if Firefox 48 will bring Widevine to Linux also.
                    Mozilla To Test Widevine CDM in Firefox Nightly

"Last year, we launched with Adobe’s Primetime CDM and now we will soon be testing Firefox support for Google’s Widevine CDM on Windows and Mac OS X."

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post

Use Chrome for that stuff
                      Yeah-if you like being tracked. I never once found a way to make Chromium not come up unique in Panopticlick. I would not trust a closed Google binary-even one based on open code with "extras" added on any machine that needs to not phone home with my personal information. I use the DRM free branch of Firefox with a lot of features I don't use or want turned off. Why pay for Netflix and DRM anyway? If you really want Hollywood movies or TV shows, use Bittorrent. Transmisson is a fine client, I've found it handy to fetch installer images that are about the size of movies.

Comment

Working...
                      X