Firefox 46.0 Is Ready To Ship, GTK3 Support Appears Finally Baked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    BTW, I've tried skia, on and off, over the last year or so, and, ignoring rendering glitches, I didn't see any general improvements (some benchmarks improved a good deal, others regressed) but I did notice that CPU usage went up.
    Was that with GTK3? With GTK2 it wasn't really usable, as developers explained in the bug I linked above:

The issue is that skia draws in process whereas cairo draws predominantly in the X server. The issue is that the gtk2 widgets live in the X server. If we use skia for content then we need to read back the gtk2 widgets from the X server to composite them with skia. This adds a big overhead to every composite cycle. The net result is that regular browsing is slower with skia but benchmarks may show a faster result.
    GTK3 lets us do widget (native theme) drawing in-process, so we would no longer need to pay the readback cost. We still need to upload the final results back to the X server (either using XRender or OpenGL), which is an extra cost. I suspect the relative performance here will heavily depend on which GPU drivers you have installed (which decides how good your XRender implementation is). Using SkiaGL to generate content directly onto the GPU should be a clearer win, but again, heavily driver dependent.
    I suppose to fully fix this, we need Wayland.
    Last edited by shmerl; 26 April 2016, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Was that with GTK3? With GTK2 it wasn't usable.
      Gtk3. I try to use nightly as much as possible (and before Firefox started regular builds with gtk3, there was a copr I used that was maintained by the guy leading the gtk3 integration).

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
        This automatically means Wayland support, right?
        I'm not sure where it currently stands (just look for the Wayland metabug on bugzilla) but they make/made extensive use of xlib.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          NOTE : APZ Has been Disabled in Firefox 46 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bu...id=1257181#c12
          What's APZ? The bug report doesn't explain the acronym either …

Comment

I still don't understand what's missing to watch Netflix with Firefox on Linux :/ Is there any webseite listing what's missing to accomplish the missing features? I want to finally switch from Windows to Kubuntu and the last thing that holds me back, is the missing DRM support (and yeah, I don't like DRM, but there's actually no reasonable alternative solution).

Comment

after last update in Nightly i lost scroolbars in Firefox when using GTK3, any know how to fix that?

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

What's APZ? The bug report doesn't explain the acronym either …

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
                  after last update in Nightly i lost scroolbars in Firefox when using GTK3, any know how to fix that?
                  Can it be related? https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze/issues/56

Basically, GTK 3.20 introduced tons of breaking changes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealBecks View Post
                    I still don't understand what's missing to watch Netflix with Firefox on Linux :/ Is there any webseite listing what's missing to accomplish the missing features? I want to finally switch from Windows to Kubuntu and the last thing that holds me back, is the missing DRM support (and yeah, I don't like DRM, but there's actually no reasonable alternative solution).
                    Use Chrome for that stuff

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Can it be related? https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze/issues/56

Basically, GTK 3.20 introduced tons of breaking changes.
                      Maybe but native GTK 3 application works fine on my system. But still GTK 3 is shity! Firefox should move to qt :/.

Comment

Working...
                      X