Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio 0.14 Adds NVIDIA NVENC Video Encoding Support

Phoronix: OBS Studio 0.14 Adds NVIDIA NVENC Video Encoding Support

The OBS Studio open-source software for screencasting and recording is now available as a major update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by siavashserver
    Yay! Waiting for Handbrake and FFmpeg to catch up too
    They actually use NVENC implementation from FFmpeg, so I guess you have it backwards. Unfortunatedly nvenc is supported with ffmpeg-3.0 which many distributions still haven't stabilized since it breaks quite a few packages (notably it used to break vlc until recently).

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
      Yay! Waiting for Handbrake and FFmpeg to catch up too
      Why would you want to have that codec in Handbrake? NVENC is really bad quality-wise. You usually only want it if you want to encode videos when CPU time is really important and bandwidth doesn't matter too much (i.e. streaming). For anything else, x264 - even the fast profiles - are the much better choice.

Comment

Yeah, NVENC crushes the hell out of colors in shadowplay / Windows OBS recordings.

Unfortunately, OBS also causes frame time spikes on my system with x264. I can't win.

Comment

So is NVENC supposed to be better than Media Foudation's NVENC on Windows?

Comment

NVENC was actually already available in OBS on Linux through the advanced stream/record feature.

This update just adds it to the simple stream/record feature.

Comment

Working...
            X