Cinnamon 3.0 Desktop Primed For Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post

Steam Big Picture works just fine on Arch+XFCE for me, mane. From what I tried briefly with LXQt, it worked fine with that as well. All defaults, so no Kwin magicry on the latter. However, imho, Steam Big Picture+GNOME 3 is perfectly acceptable, especially with the Overview. KDE has something similar, but the Windows key on my keyboard gets Meta in KDE, so idk which single button to set.

In kde, after exiting a fullscreen game, the panel is visible over the fullscreen big picture. You have to click on steam in the panel to get it to a true full screen again. There is a bug filed for it. We will see.

I always get gnome-keyring spam when I have multiple DEs installed. Idk why, but I suppose it's something I'm forgetting to set. I stopped using it a while ago because of that (it ain't that great anywho).
    Wait, do you mean I can just uninstall the keyring? Or did you stop using gnome?

When was the last time you looked at it because, while it's still not completely polished, it's integrated with the GNOME3 stack, so it should have the vast majority of GNOME3's features. Everything's arranged in a sane manner, and it gets out of the way when you don't want it.

You're defending the Cinnamon devs' aversion to Wayland? Why?
    Lol, no. Don't drag me into that. I was surprised at the first few comments, but now I see that the comments are always like that. Thanks for the civil discussion. =)

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
      In kde, after exiting a fullscreen game, the panel is visible over the fullscreen big picture. You have to click on steam in the panel to get it to a true full screen again. There is a bug filed for it. We will see.
      Ah, noted. I never saw that as more than a minor annoyance, since I always hide my panels. I can see how that gets annoying fast to people who aren't me.

Wait, do you mean I can just uninstall the keyring? Or did you stop using gnome?
      No, I just uninstalled gnome-keyring. In Arch, you can mix-'n-match whatever components you'd like. You just have the option of pulling down the whole enchilada if you don't feel like dealing with the minutia of sorting out your desktop. I pulled down the desktop+base apps, sorted through that, and pulled down whatever else I thought was cool, including gnome-keyring. I got annoyed, so I uninstalled it while leaving its dependencies. Nothing's broken so far, but I imagine it looks like a bunch of loose wires under-the-hood.

Lol, no. Don't drag me into that. I was surprised at the first few comments, but now I see that the comments are always like that. Thanks for the civil discussion. =)
      I mean, you were confused as to why people care about Wayland so much. I clarified. Not really dragging you into anything; your rather defensive stance on Cinnamon's aversion to Wayland made me look at my monitor sideways.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Believe me, nobody is using GNOME 3 in the real world. It's great for watching cat videos, but the thing is completely unusable when trying to actually do work.
        Speak for yourself. I'm a big fan of KDE/Plasma (have been for about 10 years now, dating back to KDE 3.5) but more recently I've been using GNOME Shell on my laptop and desktop. Once I got used to the way it works, my desktop management and productivity has actually increased a bit. I wouldn't call it perfect (it has its own issues) but it's decent in its own right.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          No, I don't believe you.

Gnome 3 Classic is practically the same as Cinnamon but with Wayland support and actual people behind it not just cosmetic version number changes.

That's some unsupported 3rd party add-on repo. It's not part of RHEL. Gnome 3 is part of RHEL and Classic Mode is the default desktop.

No.
          You really are a brainless cunt!, you don't back up any claim about wayland and just put down xorg.
          If wayland was any good F24 would have used it as default, they didn't because it isn't complete and isn't consider stable enough.

As for EPEL, it uses redhat bugzilla for it's bug reports, it might not be officially supported by redhat support but it is the most stable add-on repo available.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
            You really are a brainless cunt!, you don't back up any claim about wayland and just put down xorg.
            Coming from someone who thinks sticking to a 30 year old display protocol that can't even compete with any of the existing, competing solutions and is known for long, inefficient roundtrips and a severe lack of security is a good idea, Awesomeness should take that as a compliment...

If wayland was any good F24 would have used it as default, they didn't because it isn't complete and isn't consider stable enough.
            It's stable, alright. It's just that it doesn't support all usecases yet.

Comment

Working...
            X