No announcement yet.

Cinnamon 3.0 Desktop Primed For Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its been a while since I have paid attention to the comments on these articles. Are these comments typical?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Now let me show a hard fact that is not an easily rigged click counter: http://betanews.com/2016/03/23/first...t-2bn-revenue/

The actual number one (non-embedded) Linux distributor is Red Hat and their professional product ships Gnome 3 and KDE Plasma. Cinnamon isn't even in the repos. LOL
      That's mostly server crap. Believe me, nobody is using GNOME 3 in the real world. It's great for watching cat videos, but the thing is completely unusable when trying to actually do work.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post

The radeon driver didn't fair any better here, the Intel driver seems to be the only stable one IMO.
        That's funny, because in actuality it's definitely the least stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Now let me show a hard fact that is not an easily rigged click counter: http://betanews.com/2016/03/23/first...t-2bn-revenue/

The actual number one (non-embedded) Linux distributor is Red Hat and their professional product ships Gnome 3 and KDE Plasma. Cinnamon isn't even in the repos. LOL

Question: Are you actually living in the reality distortion field where people believe that DistroWatch clicks equal a distribution's success?
          I ask because I'm not sure if that is a lame attempt at trolling or you're genuinely stupid.

I'm inclined to believe that this comment puts you more on the stupidity side.
          Go ahead and stay happy with your X11 security risks. No risk no fun, right?
          Yes I guess it was a lame attempt at trolling the trolls here

Cinnamon is available for Redhat from the EPEL repo.

P.S I know X11 isn't that secure but at least it works properly and doesn't have the apps incompatibility that wayland has, plus my hardware actually works with it!
          Last edited by leigh123linux; 25 April 2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            That's mostly server crap. Believe me, nobody is using GNOME 3 in the real world. It's great for watching cat videos, but the thing is completely unusable when trying to actually do work.
            Agree with this. GNOME3 has all the issues of Windows 8 interface, and the same benefits (great on touchscreens), RedHat deals mostly with servers, not a lot with workstations.

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
            Its been a while since I have paid attention to the comments on these articles. Are these comments typical?
            yes, it's normal here. Basically unmoderated forum. Flamewars can get harsh but are fun, and can reveal plenty of interesting info you will never find in the articles of Micheael.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That's funny, because in actuality it's definitely the least stable.
              I guess it depends on hardware, my T410 is rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Flamewars can get harsh but are fun, and can reveal plenty of interesting info you will never find in the articles of Micheael.
                Ugh, well, have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  Is there any possibilities of the Cinnamon changes to various compontents being re-integrated into what they were forked from (and maybe rebase on the latest gnome)?
                  Sure, there's a possibility. Just assassinate the developers and have someone else take their places.

Cinnamon will never rebase against GNOME; they just fork every single GNOME app they want under their umbrella. Nemo, Muffin, what-have-you. Now that their DE no longer depends on GNOME, Cinnamon's no longer downstream from GNOME, hence why any patches applied to their forked apps can't/won't be accepted. It's like an Enlightenment/Moshka deal.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
                    I am surprised at the hate for cinnamon.
                    Heh. This is nothing. You should see the discussions about KDE's "flat aesthetics." You'd swear the cry-hards that moan about it are fucking art curators or something.

I admit, it isn't my favorite, but I am using it at the moment for my steam machine. My preferred DE is kde, but it does not play well with big picture, and cinnamon seems like the closest substitute in terms of usability.
                    Steam Big Picture works just fine on Arch+XFCE for me, mane. From what I tried briefly with LXQt, it worked fine with that as well. All defaults, so no Kwin magicry on the latter. However, imho, Steam Big Picture+GNOME 3 is perfectly acceptable, especially with the Overview. KDE has something similar, but the Windows key on my keyboard gets Meta in KDE, so idk which single button to set.

I did briefly try gnome, but it was after I had already installed cinnamon, and I was getting some weird interactions with the gnome keyring, so I got rid of it. But, it wasn't terrible (keep in mind I am used to kde. I'm not flaming) once I got several extensions running.
                    I always get gnome-keyring spam when I have multiple DEs installed. Idk why, but I suppose it's something I'm forgetting to set. I stopped using it a while ago because of that (it ain't that great anywho).

The budgie discussion is interesting, but last time I looked at it, it did not seem anywhere near ready. Has this changed?
                    When was the last time you looked at it because, while it's still not completely polished, it's integrated with the GNOME3 stack, so it should have the vast majority of GNOME3's features. Everything's arranged in a sane manner, and it gets out of the way when you don't want it.

Also, I am a little confused here. Why do people seem to care so much about the wayland stuff? I mean, I think in 5 years, most everyone will be using it. But, nobody is using it yet (to my knowledge) by default. And, in any event, the whole point is to not make it mainstream until the end user (me) can't tell the different anyway. Should I be getting all upset too? Am I missing something? (Hang on, I don't have a pitchfork, but I have a nice rake in the garage. I'll go get it.)
                    You're defending the Cinnamon devs' aversion to Wayland? Why? Not having the perforated colon X11 calls "security," stutter-free operation, and the fact that (after feature-parity with X11) Wayland will "just work" with everything are the big 3 advantages end-users will see off-the-bat once Wayland's set in stone.

Keep in mind, however, that the primary audience for Wayland is to appeal to developers. The giant pile of reasons why Wayland is better than X11 often points to the underlying technology. Most end-users won't care, but if all of their favorite apps start using the Wayland protocol rather than X11, then the end-users have to care if they wanna continue using the apps. The fact that Cinnamon doesn't wanna support Wayland in the forseeable future is both troubling and interesting due to the aforementioned facts.

Comment

Believe me, nobody is using GNOME 3 in the real world.
                      No, I don't believe you.

It's great for watching cat videos, but the thing is completely unusable when trying to actually do work.
                      Gnome 3 Classic is practically the same as Cinnamon but with Wayland support and actual people behind it not just cosmetic version number changes.

Cinnamon is available for Redhat from the EPEL repo.
                      That's some unsupported 3rd party add-on repo. It's not part of RHEL. Gnome 3 is part of RHEL and Classic Mode is the default desktop.

X11 […] works properly
                      No.

Comment

Working...
                      X