Cinnamon 3.0 Desktop Primed For Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post
    There seems to be a bit of a backlash against Cinnamon.

Is there any possibilities of the Cinnamon changes to various compontents being re-integrated into what they were forked from (and maybe rebase on the latest gnome)?

I doubt that will happen between nautilus and Nemo as Nautilus has had a few people rapidly improving its internals getting ready to be more adaptable in the future, but for other smaller components it may not be as big a task.
    Budgie is a much more sane solution to the GNOME 3 fiasco. Fork only the DE, keep the applications.

Comment

I am surprised at the hate for cinnamon. I admit, it isn't my favorite, but I am using it at the moment for my steam machine. My preferred DE is kde, but it does not play well with big picture, and cinnamon seems like the closest substitute in terms of usability. I did briefly try gnome, but it was after I had already installed cinnamon, and I was getting some weird interactions with the gnome keyring, so I got rid of it. But, it wasn't terrible (keep in mind I am used to kde. I'm not flaming) once I got several extensions running.

The budgie discussion is interesting, but last time I looked at it, it did not seem anywhere near ready. Has this changed?

Also, I am a little confused here. Why do people seem to care so much about the wayland stuff? I mean, I think in 5 years, most everyone will be using it. But, nobody is using it yet (to my knowledge) by default. And, in any event, the whole point is to not make it mainstream until the end user (me) can't tell the different anyway. Should I be getting all upset too? Am I missing something? (Hang on, I don't have a pitchfork, but I have a nice rake in the garage. I'll go get it.)

Comment

Can't understand the hate for Cinnamon around here. I can't comment on on how active it is, and no Wayland progress is disappointing. But I like Mint out of the box far more than Arch with default installs of either Gnome or KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          Can't understand the hate for Cinnamon around here.
          How can you tell if one is a Cinnamon user? Just wait five seconds, he'll tell you on his own.

I can't comment on on how active it is,
          The Github repository is open to anybody to look at.

But I like Mint out of the box far more than Arch with default installs of either Gnome or KDE.
          Nobody needs security patches, right?

Comment

There seems to be a bit of a backlash against Cinnamon.
            There seems to be quite a backlash against secure and modern technologies. Mint does not blacklists many bugfixes even Ubuntu ships and also that aversion against Wayland.

Is there any possibilities of the Cinnamon changes to various compontents being re-integrated into what they were forked from (and maybe rebase on the latest gnome)?
            Sure.

I doubt that will happen between nautilus and Nemo as Nautilus has had a few people rapidly improving its internals getting ready to be more adaptable in the future, but for other smaller components it may not be as big a task.
            Cinnamon and Nemo are different projects within Linux Mint. Nemo should be Wayland-ready by compiling it against a recent GTK version. Changes to Gnome Shell Mint made can also be achieved via extensions. That was also Mint's initial plan but tried to use the extension API when it was not ready, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              How can you tell if one is a Cinnamon user? Just wait five seconds, he'll tell you on his own.
              Nobody needs security patches, right?
              I use it and never told it on my own lol but now you force me to... so I make you feel right lol.

Now let me show you the stats from distrowatch :
              Mint 3125

Yes. #1.

The success of Mint as a beginner desktop is comparable with Ubuntu at start and it is 99% thanks to Cinnamon.
              Everyone can find weaknesses in it and I agree about the speed (not the lack) of security patches.

But no need to bash Mint it is a really good distribution with a great DE. Cinnamon is what users wanted and they did it, simply.

Comment

The wankers here that put Mint down are just jealous because their chosen distro isn't #1
                I don't understand why people want wayland as it's only supported by crappy open source video drivers that aren't fit for purpose, I regularly try nouveau but it crashes after about 20 minutes (tested with fermi and kelper cards).

Comment

I dont think Noveau is the best testbed when considering open source drivers - it is a volunter driven effort for what has until recently been a hostile manufacturer.

Comment

I dont think Noveau is the best testbed when considering open source drivers - it is a volunter driven effort for what has until recently been a hostile manufacturer.
                    The radeon driver didn't fair any better here, the Intel driver seems to be the only stable one IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by passo
                      Now let me show you the stats from distrowatch: Yes. #1.
                      Now let me show a hard fact that is not an easily rigged click counter: http://betanews.com/2016/03/23/first...t-2bn-revenue/

The actual number one (non-embedded) Linux distributor is Red Hat and their professional product ships Gnome 3 and KDE Plasma. Cinnamon isn't even in the repos. LOL

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
                      The wankers here that put Mint down are just jealous because their chosen distro isn't #1
                      Question: Are you actually living in the reality distortion field where people believe that DistroWatch clicks equal a distribution's success?
                      I ask because I'm not sure if that is a lame attempt at trolling or you're genuinely stupid.

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
                      I don't understand why people want wayland
                      I'm inclined to believe that this comment puts you more on the stupidity side.
                      Go ahead and stay happy with your X11 security risks. No risk no fun, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X