Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
    You're going on my ignore list.
    I heard that there wasn't a working ignore list right now. If you now how to use an ignore list here, please point me to the place to set it up.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Why do you people keep engaging the trolls?

Gotta see if they're Poes or not, mane.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        You did not read the links, not much have been ported and no plans when it is ready, so it is everbody else who fills nonsense to this forum. What if they decide to stop porting
        Denser than a collapsed star, I see. So you're one o' them, then.

The premise is that, as of right now, the main goal of the next development/release cycle for XFCE is to port to GTK+ 3. Yes, it's subject to change. Yes, there's zero concrete plans. However, that's what we're looking at as of this moment. That's what I was addressing. Nothing more. I feel like I'm being pranked since I have to actually explain that. Or you're just splitting hairs and I'm being ironic. Anyway.

With that premise as a starting point, you're averse to XFCE being ported to GTK+ 3 for reasons you already stated, all of which are either post-hoc BS or non-sequiturs. "Well, GTK3 has many contributors, which is why it's buggy...and...and...XFCE doesn't have many contributors, which is why it's bug-free...so...so...therefore...um...XFCE being ported to GTK3 will make it buggy! Got 'em!" Guy, ANY active development on ANY project, no matter what, will introduce bugs.

Four people could make a GameBoy game and it could be a glitchy mess. Forty people could make a 3rd-person-shooter that takes place across the Milky Way and the entire game could run buttery smooth with no critical flaws or errors.

EDIT: Oh, and if they decide to stop porting or not port XFCE, then nothing changes. Apart from XFCE having to maintain an outdated toolkit.
        Last edited by tigerroast; 12 April 2016, 03:01 PM. Reason: Had to address the "other half."

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          slow, resource hungry weird desktop.Must be a windows or gnome3 developer.
          Slow? Wait let me check this...

...no, it's not slow and resource hungry at all. Good thing I replaced that 386-machine. There are much more important things than saving a few MB of RAM, when we have GB at our disposal (at least for software that targets the average x86 notebook).

Comment

Well I am a Debian user and I used to use Gnome 2 for the desktop. After Gnome 3 I switches to XFCE and honestly I could not have been happier. First of all XFCE is far more configurable to my liking and is short and sweet to the point where it gets out of my way as much as possible. I want to cherry pick my editor, my browser, my filemanager, and other tools and don't want to float in a mess of programs that pop in and out of existence and get their user interface raped just because some hipsters smoking usb pen drives decide that it's time for a mobile friendly and fancy user interface.... I would much rather stay with a small and simple desktop environment that is insanely stable, works all the time and don't annoy me with all that fancy-fancy-stuff...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I guess if they need GTK3 for futureproofing for Wayland etc then this is good. XFCE just feels complete to me though, I'm not an XFCE user because I like a heavier environment but everything people want from XFCE seems already implemented and equally it seems a haven for people who don't like the more modern trends in desktops.

As for the version number, XFCE 4.0 was the release for GTK2 iirc.... therefore a GTK3 release should be XFCE 5.0 and god knows its long overdue a new major release.
              Last edited by Iksf; 12 April 2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Huh? I've used nm in XFCE for years and never had any issues.
                It works but sometimes doesn't open on the screen or the menu opens too small. Happens when wifi discovering new APs, or any time the list changes on any interface. I just been ignoring it since it works and its default software. Its been there ever since I tried xfce in 2008. The devs know about it but they aren't quite sure what is causing it so they left it alone so they don't accidentally break other things. Might be different now, I haven't checked in years, but back then it was a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Iksf View Post
                  I guess if they need GTK3 for futureproofing for Wayland etc then this is good. XFCE just feels complete to me though, I'm not an XFCE user because I like a heavier environment but everything people want from XFCE seems already implemented and equally it seems a haven for people who don't like the more modern trends in desktops.

As for the version number, XFCE 4.0 was the release for GTK2 iirc.... therefore a GTK3 release should be XFCE 5.0 and god knows its long overdue a new major release.
                  I used kde4 for about 4 years. Xfce got me hooked with its robustness and simplicity. Its got all the functions in kde that I like without having to worry about the plasma desktop freaking out. There is just less to worry about and has sane defaults.

It feels like gnome 2 except it has an industrial feel with more config options where it matters. I like solid robust desktops that stand the test of time.

Comment

That blog post links to a message from Ikey Doherty in February 2015. No offense to the man, but I get the impression he sometimes makes well-intentioned commitments he can't sustain. I would like to see Michael include Solus in a round of benchmarks though.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                      I heard that there wasn't a working ignore list right now. If you now how to use an ignore list here, please point me to the place to set it up.
                      Lol I wish, my ignore list at the moment is mostly a mental note to skim username before reading posts.

Comment

Working...
                      X