X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quikee
    replied
    Originally posted by siavashserver
    quikee just had a look at "opengl: cleanup texture, const internal format" commit; are you guys storing the texture atlas for rendering texts in a RGBA8 format too?
    Yes, we do currently which is probably a waste of GPU memory. I have this on my TODO to make it possible to change the internal format for textures.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by slacka View Post

And you reported this on the bug tracker? Or just just complain on random Internet forums where nothing will be done about it? I've reported several bugs, and surprisingly they've already fixed more than 1/2 of them. In fact of all the open source software projects that I've reported issues on, LibreOffice has the best track record for responding and fixing.
    i just noticed this day ago. and yes, i plan on reporting it as soon as i build current version and test if error is still there which is something i always do before reporting bugs. i just need to find time for that since LO ranks really low on my list of needed software and it takes quite long to build and then even more to try and find cause in order you can create bug report that won't be just discarded

note that until this i never understood people claiming same fact when comparing LO Calc with excel. this slowness is something you see everywhere where people compare excel and LO. and my biggest spreadsheet was maybe 30x30 until then
    Last edited by justmy2cents; 09 April 2016, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• slacka
    replied
    Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    it would be much better if they focused on rendering speed. i almost had heart attack when i saw how Calc performs on large spreadsheets. imported CSV with around 2000 columns and 250 rows... god, was that slow. i had 5 sec timeouts on editing

imported same thing in Gnumeric and damn thing was flying faster than editing 3 cells in Calc. funny thing is that Writer does well even on extra large documents, just Calc is dog slow, so it might not be the renderer in question

i wouldn't really even call 2000x250 large spreadsheet
    And you reported this on the bug tracker? Or just just complain on random Internet forums where nothing will be done about it? I've reported several bugs, and surprisingly they've already fixed more than 1/2 of them. In fact of all the open source software projects that I've reported issues on, LibreOffice has the best track record for responding and fixing.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by quikee View Post
    Oh wow.. Michael noticed my commits - I didn't expect that. What he didn't notice is that this is only implemented for text rendering on Windows for now (Linux still needs to be adopted).
    My anzwix software pointed it out to me

Leave a comment:

• quikee
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
    This is good news, the initial OpenGL support was rather basic and almost all rendering was done through a few basic routines.
    The current code seems far more advanced (shaders for antialiased rendering, batched rendering for text, ...),
    Well we had problems to get everything rendered correctly with GL. Now this is working relatively well (at least on Windows) so we try to optimize and accelerate rendering functions. I guess if we can change rendering to batch everything then the performance can be even better.

Leave a comment:

• quikee
    replied
    Oh wow.. Michael noticed my commits - I didn't expect that. What he didn't notice is that this is only implemented for text rendering on Windows for now (Linux still needs to be adopted).

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post

Surely you don't think that that's normal performance. This is the spreadsheet application which has OpenCL support; I think you just encountered a bug.
    OpenCL for calculations probably. it is redraw that is disastrous. just scrolling without calculations is dog slow. try importing large spreadsheet, CSV is easy to create from shell script. my data i saw this with was constructed from floats with 6 decimals (didn't try with anything else)

i get same low perf on 3 computers with completely different hw (1 nvidia, 1 amd, 1 intel). 2 running fedora 23 and one 22. Gnumeric scrolls on same data lightning fast
    Last edited by justmy2cents; 08 April 2016, 09:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
    it would be much better if they focused on rendering speed. i almost had heart attack when i saw how Calc performs on large spreadsheets. imported CSV with around 2000 columns and 250 rows... god, was that slow. i had 5 sec timeouts on editing

imported same thing in Gnumeric and damn thing was flying faster than editing 3 cells in Calc. funny thing is that Writer does well even on extra large documents, just Calc is dog slow, so it might not be the renderer in question

Surely you don't think that that's normal performance. This is the spreadsheet application which has OpenCL support; I think you just encountered a bug.

Leave a comment:

• justmy2cents
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Linuxhippy
    replied
    This is good news, the initial OpenGL support was rather basic and almost all rendering was done through a few basic routines.
    The current code seems far more advanced (shaders for antialiased rendering, batched rendering for text, ...),

Actually I find it quite brave of the LibreOffice guys to go for OpenGL on all platforms, compared to Chrome/FireFox/Java/etc which all use Direct3D/Direct2D backends on Windows.
    This for sure will give the quality of OpenGL drivers a little (but very welcome!) boost regarding implementation quality.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X