No announcement yet.

Vivaldi 1.0 Web Browser Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before it gets bought out by another big company? I just really don't see the point.

Comment

Chewi, they surely failed, they killed of their own browser and replaced it by skin for Chrome, they caused split in their community (their own co-founder created product aiming at taking over their users).
      And monopoly (and Blink monoculture) created by Google is even worse story...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If you care about security and privacy, you watch your router's logs. How many times have you done that? How many times have you looked at the source code for Firefox or Chromium?
        Opera was a closed source browser and it ushered in the vast majority of features you take for granted today.
        I've looked a few times a routers logs on my routers where I could Install DD-WRT or Tomato, but I cannot say that I understood too much when I saw hundreds and thousand of remote IPs and I was using a bittorent client.
        Anyway on Windows I'm using GlassWire firewall which shows a lot of infomation in a nice graphical way.
        I didn't look at the source code of Firefox or Chromium since there are not so easy to find as the progjects on Github and I know too little C or C++ to understand them.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

You should read the ToS of Firefox before saying things like that.
        Why, did you read it and found it something suspicious?
        Anyway I trust Firefox more than any other browser because othe than being open source, it asks me if I want the auto-update service, if I want to send them telemetry data or any other kind of data an they have a privacy option in setting, Chroumium and Google has it too but it's hidden by default so less users will see it.

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        I actually trust Vivaldi more than Chromium. Yes, I mean Chromium, not Chrome. And don't tell me that spyware hasn't crept into Chromium before.
        This is just blind trust, it makes me laugh every time.
        Chromium still has some bullshit features from Google, but at least, you can take the source code, review it and maybe remove those parts and compile it yourself.
        You can't do that with closed source browsers.
        If they don't respect your first freedom of software (the freedom to see the source code), how can you be so sure that they will respect your other freedoms?
        I'm pretty sure they will just sell your data when they get enought money from someone.

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        You can't really say it failed, Opera has been around for 21 years and it isn't dead yet. They had to ditch their own rendering engine but they realised that wasn't the most important thing anyway. It lost some market share to Chrome but people don't choose Chrome because it's open source... not least because it's not open source! Sure, there's Chromium, but the vast majority still install Chrome.
        For users who know better it's certainly failed.
        I've tried it in the past a few times and I liked it, but with each new version they changed the things I liked and disappointed me.
        And the tipping point was when I really understanstood what free software means and I saw that they don't want to release the source code, I gave up, completely and never use it since then.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Vivaldi is built on top of Chrome's/Chromium's source code.
          I'm sorry, do you mean that this is an Advantage?
          They take an open source browser and close the source code so we cannot see what changes they made.
          So now you don't have to worry only about the backdoors Google put in Chroumium, but also the the ones Vivaldi's creators put in?
          Im' sorry but I can't trust anyone just because they say so.
          Either they sow the proof (source code) or it's all bullshit, lies and marketing.

Comment

Choo choo goes the shameless plug train There was a new Fifth release a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              So Vivaldi is the Internet Explorer of today's for people who don't care about security and privacy?
              No thanks
              I'm pretty happy with Firefox and Chromium and I don't get what advantages a closed source browser could bring for me.
              For me, my job involves using a web browser all day and Vivaldi is the best of all those I've tried so far. Really, it's a great browser, plus it doesn't matter to me if someone knows I visited internal company sites at work.

At home I use Firefox, Opera 12, and occasionally Otter. However, now we're having this discussion I'm going to commit to using Otter more.

Comment

As a web developer, I'm excited that there's finally a web browser that supports the "theme-color" meta tag. Chrome on the desktop needs to catch up with it's mobile counterpart on this feature.

Comment

So it's essentially Chromium with a modified UI. I really wonder if Vivaldi can make enough revenue to feed their 35 employees.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Why, did you read it and found it something suspicious?
                    Anyway I trust Firefox more than any other browser because othe than being open source, it asks me if I want the auto-update service, if I want to send them telemetry data or any other kind of data an they have a privacy option in setting, Chroumium and Google has it too but it's hidden by default so less users will see it.
                    Yes, I found. If you go there you will see that they reserve the right to share data with other companies. They even say witch is.

And Chrome ask you about sending then data right there at the start. Firefox, days later, when is too late. And the privacy options are not more hidden than Firefox in any way.

Lets face it: Mozilla is not the "Mozilla Foundation", champion of privacy and security it once was. Now they are just a company pursuing money, just like all the other browser vendors.

Comment

Working...
                    X