Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Comes Up With A Vision For The Future

Phoronix: KDE Comes Up With A Vision For The Future

After surveying developers and community users, KDE has come to a vision for the future and united around a single mission statement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I will reconsider using KDE when they fix plasmashell growing CPU usage when there are any animations and end up going to 100%. Many people have already reported this but unfortunately they don't seem interested into fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      I would consider using kde if ram usage were 1/2 from current, 2x speedier desktop and xfce whisker menu instead of current stupid categorized with too many mouse clicks and start menu of kde is not freely configurable.
      Did you try the other application menu in the widgets? they have 3 different to choose from.
      Also they have right click menu on desktop like xfce that is just as simple.

Comment

I'm a veteran KDE user/fan and I don't have a clue what this is supposed to mean.

Comment

KDE group really have to remember that there is a difference between freedom and chaos. Too much freedom without adequate regulation leads to confusuon, abuse and chaos....and then repudiation. That's the way it is in politrix....it's the same with KDE. They give too much freedom without adequate regulations leading to user abuse ( not abuse in the bad sense of the word but through mistakes and too many steps to get something done.) KDE abuses the user's computer through bloat and memory usage. This leads to user confusion and then chaos, either through user frustration and/or computer performance issues. This then leads to chaos through user troubleshooting, computer performance issues, workflow issues. And this finally leads to users' repudiatuon of KDE altogether.

Comment

I would consider using kde if ram usage were 1/2 from current, 2x speedier desktop and xfce whisker menu instead of current stupid categorized with too many mouse clicks and start menu of kde is not freely configurable.
            wtf? you can choose between 3 different start menus!!! right click alternatives. and you can freely configure those 3, editing the groups etc.

Comment

^^I been using xubuntu for about a year after using kubuntu for a few years. The ram usage was pretty similar except kde caches more and usage goes up ~250mb over the xubuntu configuration after using it for a day. Its still lighter than a windows desktop anyway.

Wonder if kde devs read this. I have a critique about the notifications, why do they have to stack up ontop of eachother? Best part is I can't turn them off. Turning off the popup makes another popup appear at the top of my screen. Uninstalling the notifications wants to remove a considerable amount of my desktop too. Why?????
              The notification list feature is pretty cool though. Keeping that feature while disabling popups would be nice.
              Last edited by DIRT; 05 April 2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Though it would be the usual "vision" of making the same UI for the microwave oven and a desktop PC... Relieved...

Comment

About the end of the work day here and plasmashell eats 66.4MB RAM (44.1MB shared), krunner eats 40.3MB (16.1MB shared), kwin_x11 eats 19.8MB (3.6MB shared), kded5 eats 15.3MB (13.1MB shared). There's also baloo_file (45.6/26.9MB). That's 187.4MB (103.8MB shared), including baloo which can be disabled. By comparison, the first three most memory hungry Chromium processes eat more than that (and there's about three dozen if them, total).
                  If KDE wouldn't use any memory at all and you'd have a quarter more GB, would it help you in any way?
                  Granted, DEs shouldn't eat memory like there's no tomorrow, but KDE is (arguably) the most fancy of them all. It has a reason for needing more memory. But if it doesn't require a system having several GB RAM in order to operate, what's the big deal?

Comment

Hm, I was hoping for something with tangible relevance.

This makes sense as an abstract, overall goal, but a 'vision' ought to suggest what roles KDE software will fill in this amazing hypothetical future, and how the project as a whole should progress towards it.

Without any directly-followable overall aims, the "KDE is a Community" thing has become "KDE is a bunch of (KF-using) apps" IME.
                    The Visual Design Group know what they want KDE (as a whole) to look like, and interact with all the sub-projects to achieve that. It's a shame they're almost the only ones.

I tested In plasma-desktop 5.60 in virtualbox, there is only 2 menus, both stupid. You can not move bottom panel anywhere, only delete. In xfce you can freely set panels.
                    You can move the panel to any screen edge, or resize it to cover only part of an edge and position it anywhere on that edge.
                    You can add multiple panels, and choose which widgets (inc. task manager, menus, status...) to put on each panel and where.

EDIT:
                    You can set any panel to autohide, or to cover windows, or to go behind windows.
                    You can disable the little desktop menu.

Startup time is indeed quite poor, even on my SSD.
                    Logout time in 5.6 is just baffling, I have no idea how it can be so bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X