KDE Comes Up With A Vision For The Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Used ram after login, checked with top: plasma-desktop 5.60 240MB vs xfce 175MB in virtual box and debian testing.
    Are you really complaining about KDE using an extra 65MB of RAM?

Comment

I would consider using kde if ram usage were 1/2 from current, 2x speedier desktop and xfce whisker menu instead of current stupid categorized with too many mouse clicks and start menu of kde is not freely configurable.
      Try using Gnome and see how well you do on memory usage. Gnome has a nasty bug (feature?) where gnome shell starts eating memory and doesn't stop. Under Gnome I saw it using memory into the gigabytes. This bug has existed in Gnome 3 for many years now. Meanwhile I can use KDE on an old laptop with 3 GB of ram quite comfortably. KDE doesn't use that much more memory than xfce, and you get a more flexible and modern desktop.

Also, you can change the "start menu" in KDE to one that's more Windows 95ish if you really want to.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
        Hm, I was hoping for something with tangible relevance.

This makes sense as an abstract, overall goal, but a 'vision' ought to suggest what roles KDE software will fill in this amazing hypothetical future, and how the project as a whole should progress towards it.
        I am thinking the same, this is just a concept on paper, and not very detailed one either. On what hardware will KDE and in what forms run? How can KDE interact with IoT? All of these are not really answered. And I dont think you can achieve such a vision without having your own operating system, yes they are trying to do something with Plasma Mobile, but by the time that progresses far enough competition like Ubuntu and many others will be far ahead. Ubuntu already has Snappy Ubuntu Core running on IoT devices, drones and similar devices, Ubuntu Touch for phones and tablets and Ubuntu for desktops and servers. And desktop Ubuntu will switch to Snappy in the future too enabling fully unified OS. I doubt KDE has what it takes to achieve such unified concept, they will need to develop their own converged operating system which is a quite massive undertaking, Canonical is working on that for the last few years and only now they are half way there and I believe Canonical has more manpower than KDE, I dont see how KDE will achieve their vision without having their own operating system. Even if they manage to do it they will be running late for the show. But good luck to them, more competition is always good.

Comment

Reading the article, all I saw was a bunch of dumb platitudes about freedom and diversity. I wish FLOSS projects would knock of this childish mentality. Why do they even have to bring up diversity? It's a meaningless platitude. Next step for KDE, I fear, is they'll be outright racist and sexist like Gnome is.

Everyone: The work should not just be for a small group of people. The fruits of our work should be available to all, without being restricted to materially, educationally or socially privileged people.
          WTF does that even mean? KDE doesn't cost a cent - anyone who wants to can already use it. How do you even implement something like this? Especially when you already give the work away for free. What are they going to do, start paying so-called "under privileged" people to use it? Ridiculous. Just more SJW code words. Very disappointing, KDE. Please don't start this BS.
          Last edited by eggbert; 05 April 2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
            Are you really complaining about KDE using an extra 65MB of RAM?
            No, he's complaining that KDE isn't exactly like XFCE in every way except name.

Comment

plasma-desktop 5.60 has only delete. Autohide it has.
              Right-click -> Panel Options -> Panel Settings:
              [Screen edge], [Height], bar to adjust width and positioning.
              [More Settings]:
              [Left] [Centre] [Right]
              [Always Visible] [Auto Hide] [Windows Can Cover] [Windows Can Go Below]

And yes, too many layers of nested settings is a KDE misfeature (of course, Gnome et al. just don't have those settings!). It's getting better in some places.

Comment

IMHO most users would like KDE to focus on what they used to do: making a working Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                  Startup time is indeed quite poor, even on my SSD.
                  Logout time in 5.6 is just baffling, I have no idea how it can be so bad.
                  The thing is people are comparing kde to xfce that focuses on cpu efficency and HD i/o. Xfce is really efficient in those areas considering all the features it has gained. I have a week cpu with the slowest 5200rpm hard drive you can buy and I am really appreciating xfce. Kde is still a close second for me.

Not much difference in speed once logged in though. Kwin effects takes 1 second to disable.

Comment

Used ram after login, checked with top: plasma-desktop 5.60 240MB vs xfce 175MB in virtual box and debian testing. 6x slower and logut from lightdm than with xfce. No freely configurable whisker menu, no freely configurable bottom panel, only delete. Stupid menu on the left top corner. In xfce you can set panels to autohide and move panels freely.
                    Ok, use Xfce then.

Comment

Why do you even bother responding to the "debianxfce" guy? He's been polluting so many threads lately.

Comment

Working...
                      X