KDE Announces Kirigami UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Have you seen Ubuntu Touch core applications running on desktop? They rescale pretty well in desktop form to take advantage of bigger screens.

Playing with an early build of the Ubuntu Phone community Music App on the desktop. As it's an early build there's some UI bugs and glitches, and not a final...

Music application from the phone on desktop.
    Which is precisely due to the fact that it's designed to be a small screen app. All apps would have to be designed that way. No doubt it's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
      I love it when people make objective claims about subjective topics.

"I don't like GNOME, therefore it must suck"

Last time I checked a lot of people love GNOME... not saying it's the best, just saying it doesn't "suck" statistically speaking.
      #MyOpinionMustBeTheRightOpinion #EveryoneElseIsWrong
      Its not a subjective topic.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Which is precisely due to the fact that it's designed to be a small screen app. All apps would have to be designed that way. No doubt it's wrong.
        No, its designed for convergence so it works well on all screen sizes, that is the whole point of convergence to make applications work on any form factor and still have useful UI, scaling depending on screen size and platform they are running on, yes it requires more planning for the developer if he wants to make his app converged, but since phones and tablets take over more and more tasks for most people and convergence might be the next big thing along with IoT, convergence will have to be taken into consideration by application developers in the long run. While convergence is currently making small steps forward with Microsoft's Continuum (though not a true fully fledged convergence) and Ubuntu Touch (full convergence with running X applications) it seems to be the future as phones get more and more powerful, add IoT and cloud in the story and future technology is likely to be "converged" in more ways than one with applications running on phones, tablets, computers, smart TVs, car infotainment systems etc. Smart home, smart car, computer in your pocket etc. One may or may not like that but it seems we are going in that direction.

Comment

No, its designed for convergence so it works well on all screen sizes, that is the whole point of convergence to make applications work on any form factor and still have useful UI, scaling depending on screen size and platform they are running on, yes it requires more planning for the developer if he wants to make his app converged, but since phones and tablets take over more and more tasks for most people and convergence might be the next big thing along with IoT, convergence will have to be taken into consideration by application developers in the long run. While convergence is currently making small steps forward with Microsoft's Continuum (though not a true fully fledged convergence) and Ubuntu Touch (full convergence with running X applications) it seems to be the future as phones get more and more powerful, add IoT and cloud in the story and future technology is likely to be "converged" in more ways than one with applications running on phones, tablets, computers, smart TVs, car infotainment systems etc. Smart home, smart car, computer in your pocket etc. One may or may not like that but it seems we are going in that direction.
          You can scale up a small screen app, sure, but you cannot scale down a large screen app without the elements being too small or without some elements being offscreen. It sounds like your intentions are good, but I don't see it happening across the board. Sure you can pick out a few examples where it may make sense like the example you provided, but there is no chance it'll be ubiquitous. And GUI's that are designed to make it that way are destined to fail just as hard as windows 8 did.

Comment

No, its designed for convergence so it works well on all screen sizes, that is the whole point of convergence to make applications work on any form factor and still have useful UI, scaling depending on screen size and platform they are running on
            Convergence doesn't necessarily mean scaling, given the right technology you can just switch the UI during runtime and have different UIs each designed for a specific type of platform.

Such an application could even operate multiple UIs at the same time in different windows appearing on different screens.

Cheers,
            _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

Convergence doesn't necessarily mean scaling, given the right technology you can just switch the UI during runtime and have different UIs each designed for a specific type of platform.

Such an application could even operate multiple UIs at the same time in different windows appearing on different screens.

Cheers,
              _
              That is what Unity 8 does, it has phone, tablet and desktop forms though desktop version is still being worked on, but it is ready enough for desktop mode with phones and tablets connected to a monitor, not yet ready to replace Unity 7 on laptop and desktop computers. Applications on it scale depending on their size, when in full screen or expanded in desktop version of Unity 8 they reconfigure their UI to be fit for desktop use as demonstrated with Music application in the video I posted here on the topic.

Comment

You can scale up a small screen app, sure, but you cannot scale down a large screen app without the elements being too small or without some elements being offscreen. It sounds like your intentions are good, but I don't see it happening across the board. Sure you can pick out a few examples where it may make sense like the example you provided, but there is no chance it'll be ubiquitous. And GUI's that are designed to make it that way are destined to fail just as hard as windows 8 did.
                You cant usually if the application isnt designed for convergence, but that is not always the case, there is a video of Chromium running on Meizu MX4 Ubuntu phone which has full hd screen and desktop Chromium actually looks pretty decent on the phone, nothing is too small or off screen. It probably wouldnt look that good on phones with smaller resolutions. If and when converged applications become a must have that wont be anytime soon. Those designed for Ubuntu will likely be convergence friendly, providing Ubuntu phone succeeds in the long run, other Linux applications will be like they are now, sometimes they will look good on the phone, sometimes they will not, tablet is a different story with enough screen space to show X applications without issues of stuff being too small or off screen. Still I wouldnt mind running X applications on the phone even if some of them will look a bit off on the phone. There was also a demonstration of LibreOffice running on the Nexus 4 with Ubuntu Touch and controls were definitely small on the 4.7" 1280x720 screen, usable but small, on a 5.5" phone with 1920x1080 it would be more usable, though the whole point of X applications on the phone is not to use them much on the phone, but use them in desktop mode when you connect the phone to a monitor. Less screen intensive applications would probably work fine on the phone, for example Skype is not very demanding when it comes to screen size and doesnt have many menus, even its layout is phone friendly so to speak, it would probably look fine on the phone, with a few hacks applications could be forced to always use full screen mode on the phone to make the most out of screen space and look consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

Cheers,
                  _

But then can you really call it convergence? In that case all it is, is additional development pressure on application designers. I can't imagine that'll end up a good thing.

Comment

But then can you really call it convergence?
                    Of course, that's the only thing I would consider convergence.

If I had to run different applications on different form factors then this would be just like what I have now.

Cheers,
                    _

Comment

They might be able to equip some KDE devs with hammers
                      You're not even a fun troll, just a lame one.
                      Fun trolls I enjoy fighting with. You just got a spot on my ignore list with a few other lame trolls.

Comment

Working...
                      X