Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Announces Kirigami UI

Phoronix: KDE Announces Kirigami UI

KDE announced this morning the new Kirigami UI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really exciting

Comment

Why can't UI designers develop the most optimal interface for the device the UI is installed on? Crap! This is so irksome, If I install a UI on a phone, it's because I want a phone UI, and if I install a UI on a desktop, it's because I want a desktop UI. If it was a phone UI, I'd say it's cool, but right now wtf is it? You already know Gnome ruined their interface and lost a majority of their userbase, And yet Gnome is not on any tablets, PDA's, cell phones, telzon, or any mobile device. DON'T follow suit!

WTF!
      Last edited by duby229; 30 March 2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Why can't UI designers develop the most optimal interface for the device the UI is installed on? Crap! This is so irksome, If I install a UI on a phone, it's because I want a phone UI, and if I install a UI on a desktop, it's because I want a desktop UI.

WTF!
        That's exactly what this story is about. Did you even read it?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

That's exactly what this story is about. Did you even read it?
          So what you're implying is that as an application developer it isn't possible to predetermine the layout and configuration of the app that -I- designed! Because the UI is going to try put that square peg into that round hole!

A desktop is not a phone and desktop UI designers need to fucking realize once again!

EDIT: Don't you guys realize by now that MS utterly failed! Gnome3 was a total travesty! It does't work, people always hate the end result.
          Last edited by duby229; 30 March 2016, 09:09 AM.

Comment

A desktop is not a phone and desktop UI designers need to fucking realize once again!
            This story is solely about a phone UI. It has nothing to do with desktop, retard.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

This story is solely about a phone UI. It has nothing to do with desktop, retard.
              Round hole, square peg! Just grab a hammer and pound it in!

Comment

So what you're implying is that as an application developer it isn't possible to predetermine the layout and configuration of the app that -I- designed! Because the UI is going to try put that square peg into that round hole!

EDIT: Don't you guys realize by now that MS utterly failed! Gnome3 was a total travesty! It does't work, people always hate the end result.
                Oh, you can do it, that's how it's done today. Somehow this is too confusing for the regular user that needs things to look "consistent".
                And yes, while you can craft a UI for each device, this has been deemed too expensive and now people hope that something that "scales" will be the solution. We won't know until we try, though.
                Quite frankly, who do you think actually cares, besides us, a handful of developers/enthusiasts? Many users don't do anything outside of the web browser anyway and even then, they're so smart they can get confused if you change their homepage from google.com (don't laugh, I've seen it first-hand).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Oh, you can do it, that's how it's done today. Somehow this is too confusing for the regular user that needs things to look "consistent".
                  And yes, while you can craft a UI for each device, this has been deemed too expensive and now people hope that something that "scales" will be the solution. We won't know until we try, though.
                  Quite frankly, who do you think actually cares, besides us, a handful of developers/enthusiasts? Many users don't do anything outside of the web browser anyway and even then, they're so smart they can get confused if you change their homepage from google.com (don't laugh, I've seen it first-hand).
                  They might be able to equip some KDE devs with hammers, but I can't imagine anything less than duress would convince other devs.

EDIT: It's not a matter of resolution or DPI. It's a matter of physical screen size.... There is no chance that anyone will -ever- be able to develop a consistent look and feel. It's a total waste of time and money and effort. You will never be able to use a desktop one handed with your thumb as an interface device. Application development should not be shoehorned like that.
                  Last edited by duby229; 30 March 2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

They might be able to equip some KDE devs with hammers, but I can't imagine anything less than duress would convince other devs.

EDIT: It's not a matter of resolution or DPI. It's a matter of physical screen size.... There is no chance that anyone will -ever- be able to develop a consistent look and feel. It's a total waste of time and money and effort. You will never be able to use a desktop one handed with your thumb as an interface device. Application development should not be shoehorned like that.
                    So certain you are...

Comment

Working...
                    X