Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.20 Gets Ready To Shine With New Features

Phoronix: GNOME 3.20 Gets Ready To Shine With New Features

With GNOME 3.20 on final approach for landing tomorrow, 23 March, here's a recap of some of the exciting changes and new features of this six-month update to the GNOME stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As exciting as this is, I don't think I can go back to Gnome now that I've tried an actual stable version of Plasma. The Gnome team seems to have forgotten that the whole purpose of a desktop is a better UI for humans to work with. And as technically superior as gnome may be, they still haven't grasped that concept.

Comment

That might be true for you, but for me it's the opposite. I find gnome much more usable. Version 3.20 looks even more consistent and overall I prefer the looks of gnome to kde. Everybody has a different opinion with a personal point of view. Enjoy whatever suits you best! 3.20 certainly feels like a solid and complete product already, although I don't really think I'd switch to wayland just yet (as a developer and a user)... I'd prefer to wait for the last tweaks and bug fixes to be applied first. In any way, thank you gnome developers!!!!

Comment

I met Gnome3 in SteamOS awful thing, maybe only Unity is bigger disaster, im glad that Mate and Cinnamon emerged from this tragedy.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
          I met Gnome3 in SteamOS awful thing, maybe only Unity is bigger disaster, im glad that Mate and Cinnamon emerged from this tragedy.
          Why on earth would you use SteamOS to try out Gnome 3? If I was trying out Unity, I wouldn't try it out on Fedora. If you want to see the desktop environments at their best you have to pick the right distro. Want KDE? Kubuntu or OpenSUSE. Want Unity? Ubuntu. Want Gnome3? Fedora. Want Cinnamon? Mint. Trying them out anywhere else is flawed methodology.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Everybody has their preference but if you really can't "figure out" how to use Gnome Shell then you just aren't smart enough to use a computer. It's easy. It works well. I use it everyday without being sucked into a yawning abyss of dumbness because little used features are hidden while commonly used ones are made more prominent. If you really can't figure out how to use Gnome you either need to make sure your computer is turned on first or more likely just stop the blind, ideological trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
              As exciting as this is, I don't think I can go back to Gnome now that I've tried an actual stable version of Plasma.
              If only I could get my Plasma environment to not hang as soon as I log in
              This bug seems stuck in purgatory: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=359890

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
              Everybody has their preference but if you really can't "figure out" how to use Gnome Shell then you just aren't smart enough to use a computer.
              But you're talking about Linux users.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
                The Gnome team seems to have forgotten that the whole purpose of a desktop is a better UI for humans to work with.
                But they did realize that everyone has their own preferences: GNOME is like the Firefox of desktops, making it easy to create "extensions" that can change just about every aspect of the desktop. Extensions are written in JavaScript/CSS, standard web technologies that are very welcoming to contributors.

The list of extensions keeps growing, and there are many high-quality ones that make GNOME much more usable for me, personally. I especially enjoy Dash to Dock

The problem so far has been that, like in the early days of Firefox, new versions of GNOME can break some extensions. Unless the extension maintainer is on top of things, this can really ruin your day. But, like Firefox, the base platform of GNOME keeps getting more stable.

Comment

i for one am liking Gnome 3.20 as i wasnt a Huge Fan of the Global shit, but 3.20 looks much better an even Epiphany looks better

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post
                    Everybody has their preference but if you really can't "figure out" how to use Gnome Shell then you just aren't smart enough to use a computer. It's easy. It works well. I use it everyday without being sucked into a yawning abyss of dumbness because little used features are hidden while commonly used ones are made more prominent. If you really can't figure out how to use Gnome you either need to make sure your computer is turned on first or more likely just stop the blind, ideological trolling.
                    Holy crap guy, talk about the definition of hypocrisy. Let's get a few things straight. "Figuring out" Gnome isn't hard, it was the horrible inefficiency of the interface for normal desktop usage. After 2 months of using the gnome on it's defaults I was beyond frustrated with it. Some of the frustration was seeing how awesome of a desktop it could be with the additions they added, like the super key functionality. Now, I certainly see the appeal for a work environment or basic home use where you use the same 5 applications every day. It works great. But I have over 1900 packages installed, and I certainly don't remember the names of all them to quick search. The Dash to Dock runs afoul of the same issue. It's not really designed to hold 50 apps and not look like crap. And then there's gnome tweak tool. I about died laughing when I read in depth on it. The most well-funded organization making a DE for linux needs you to install a separate application to fix/configure the horrible defaults? And not only that, it's a common practice? That doesn't scream design flaw at all... And then there's Nautilus. Wow, I don't think I've ever used a more horrendous file manager in my life. The list goes on and on but this post is already tl;dr material. But I'm pretty sure the gnome devs live in a perpetual state of elitist denial. After 2 months of using Gnome 3 on it's defaults, and another 2 months tweaking it with gnome tweak tool and extensions, gnome 3 is certainly functional... but I'm much happier with Plasma.

Comment

Working...
                    X