Edubuntu Will Not Do A 16.04 LTS Release, Project May Be On Its Final Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edubuntu Will Not Do A 16.04 LTS Release, Project May Be On Its Final Leg

Phoronix: Edubuntu Will Not Do A 16.04 LTS Release, Project May Be On Its Final Leg

There hasn't been much to report on regarding Edubuntu, the education spin of Ubuntu, in quite some time. Edubuntu had moved to doing only LTS releases every two years, but now it's been confirmed they will not be able to make an Edubuntu 16.04 LTS release to succeed Edubuntu 14.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really too bad.
    This distro was so good to show to children something else than Windows.
    To be honest the programs were not all "AAA titles" but scholers could learn to use a computer easily and safely with dedicated apps.

In many countries Microsoft killed this kind of initiatives by giving unlimited / free licences of Office etc. to government and schools... (Balmer desserves hell)

RIP Edubuntu.

Comment

I wasn't aware this was still around.

I don't understand why distros like this (or Ubuntu Christian edition... ugh..) exist. Just do a metapackage containing the software you'd normally include. I don't understand why this is so hard. There are so many useless distros out there that could easily be replaced with community repositories and metapackages for larger distros.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 21 March 2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

I don't understand why distros like this (or Ubuntu Christian edition... ugh..) exist. Just do a metapackage containing the software you'd normally include. I don't understand why this is so hard. There are so many useless distros out there that could easily be replaced with community repositories and metapackages of larger distros.

This 20000000000 bilions times.

Comment

just join https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Education-Li-f-e
          this is opensuse with a preselection of edu-software for children. it also has a life-cd based on opensuse leap. You can also upgrade existing leap or tumbleweed installations by adding those 2 repos and upgrading then:
          Code:
          sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/ edu
          sudo zypper ar http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.1/ packman
          sudo zypper dup

Comment

If you are pushing GNU/Linux into academia, its best to go with a 100% FLOSS OS like Trisquel and install the programs you need.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

I don't understand why distros like this (or Ubuntu Christian edition... ugh..) exist. Just do a metapackage containing the software you'd normally include. I don't understand why this is so hard. There are so many useless distros out there that could easily be replaced with community repositories and metapackages of larger distros.
              I don't think Edubuntu is just "Ubuntu + education metapackages". It's e.g. one of the few distros that ship LTSP out-of-box, directly configurable in distro installer.

Comment

Maybe it's time for Debian Edu to shine. It has been converging on just being a metapackage as described. But it is nice to have it on a customised install disc, with its own name and branding, so schools can say "oh we have Debian Edu on all our computers, its great for the kids" and "could we get Debian Edu?" etc.

I think this is a super important area of free/libre software. Though ironically, it is the more capitalistically developed countries that are being slowest to adopt it.

Comment

Originally posted by lbssousa View Post

I don't think Edubuntu is just "Ubuntu + education metapackages". It's e.g. one of the few distros that ship LTSP out-of-box, directly configurable in distro installer.
                  also having ltsp ootb: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Education-Li-f-e

Comment

Originally posted by stevenc View Post
                    Maybe it's time for Debian Edu to shine. It has been converging on just being a metapackage as described. But it is nice to have it on a customised install disc, with its own name and branding, so schools can say "oh we have Debian Edu on all our computers, its great for the kids" and "could we get Debian Edu?" etc.

I think this is a super important area of free/libre software. Though ironically, it is the more capitalistically developed countries that are being slowest to adopt it.
                    You're wrong. Edubuntu was nothing else just a copy'n'paste DebianEdu. Since DebianEdu has stopped at wheezy and no stable release for jessie, edubuntu "developers" "decided" to "focus" on the 14.04 edubuntu. It must be only a coincidence that ubuntu 14.04 is based on Debian Wheezy...
                    So DebianEdu doesn't seem to shine, but if it will get updates, then edubuntu will get the same updates, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X