Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Servo+Browser.html Release Planned For June

Phoronix: Initial Servo+Browser.html Release Planned For June

Paul Rouget of Mozilla has shared plans for making an initial alpha release of their next-generation Servo Engine and Servo-based Browser.html web browser release for this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

my bets it wont be called " Firefox " , hopefully there's a Linux Version we can test with

Comment

A few things:
      1. Browser.html isn't "servo-based", it's literally just HTML. The git tree builds on top of Servo because the dev wanted to. It can be used with Webkit or others if they implement/have already implemented something similar to Graphene.
      2. Browser.html isn't a Mozilla project. It's a side project by Mozilla Engineers (kinda what Servo is at this point as well, honestly).
      Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      my bets it wont be called " Firefox " , hopefully there's a Linux Version we can test with
      3. No, it won't. Also, Servo is developed and built on OS X and Linux mainly. Pretty sure it's actually easier for them to build on Linux than OS X right now given the tools they use. 99% sure there will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        A few things:
        1. Browser.html isn't "servo-based", it's literally just HTML. The git tree builds on top of Servo because the dev wanted to. It can be used with Webkit or others if they implement/have already implemented something similar to Graphene.
        2. Browser.html isn't a Mozilla project. It's a side project by Mozilla Engineers (kinda what Servo is at this point as well, honestly).

3. No, it won't. Also, Servo is developed and built on OS X and Linux mainly. Pretty sure it's actually easier for them to build on Linux than OS X right now given the tools they use. 99% sure there will be.
        its a Project made up of Samsung an Mozilla

Comment

While browser.html demos up till now have all shown at least tablet/laptop size layouts... I'd NEVER EVER want to use that interface on anything other than a phone.

I wish they would just extend the servo-shell project... or at least try to make browser.html look like a real desktop browser.

chromebook = desktop browser, windows = desktop browser , linux = desktop browser... mobile browsers will always be an afterthought due to the fact that developing websites directly on phones/tablets is a non starter... I have no problem with making a mobile friendly UI but making the desktop UI an afterthought undermines everything that is being worked toward in my opinion.

At the very least browser.html should be responsive in the sense that on desktops it automatically looks like a desktop browser and on tablets it looks like a mix between a moble and desktop browser and on phones it should look like a mobile browser.

they should also not forget that firefox os and fennec have not been overwhelming successes and take a cue from their competitors regarding UI design (opera mobile and chrome)

Comment

servo shell works on linux
            ofc its not a useable browser but it works.

fennec's pretty awesome btw. have you tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              While browser.html demos up till now have all shown at least tablet/laptop size layouts... I'd NEVER EVER want to use that interface on anything other than a phone.

I wish they would just extend the servo-shell project... or at least try to make browser.html look like a real desktop browser.

chromebook = desktop browser, windows = desktop browser , linux = desktop browser... mobile browsers will always be an afterthought due to the fact that developing websites directly on phones/tablets is a non starter... I have no problem with making a mobile friendly UI but making the desktop UI an afterthought undermines everything that is being worked toward in my opinion.

At the very least browser.html should be responsive in the sense that on desktops it automatically looks like a desktop browser and on tablets it looks like a mix between a moble and desktop browser and on phones it should look like a mobile browser.

they should also not forget that firefox os and fennec have not been overwhelming successes and take a cue from their competitors regarding UI design (opera mobile and chrome)
              I'm fairly certain they're using browser.html as an easy prototyping UI, so they can concentrate on Servo instead of integration to a more complete UI. When the engine is complete it can be embedded to actual browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                It's a side project by Mozilla Engineers (kinda what Servo is at this point as well, honestly).
                Servo as a project was born within Mozilla Research and is now a fully open source project with a rather diverse group of contributors. The bulk of the work is still being done @Mozilla including the ongoing development of Rust. Tthe two projects were basically born together and basically supporting each other. Now Rust has outgrown Servo already but many new features in the language are still being developed using feedback from Servo since it's still the largest Rust codebase around.

Comment

Here's hoping that if they really build a browser on top of HTML, they'll finally embrace web components.

Comment

I built Servo from git last week. At html5test out of 555 possible points the other mainstream browsers get 440-530, and Servo got 177. At the acid3 tests out of 100 possible points Chrome got 100, Firefox got 99, and Servo crashed when the counter hit 22.

So I'll be really surprised if it's ready for even an alpha release by June.

Comment

Working...
                    X