Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embedding Gecko Into Other Apps Isn't Pretty

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Embedding Gecko Into Other Apps Isn't Pretty

    Phoronix: Embedding Gecko Into Other Apps Isn't Pretty

    Mozilla developer Chris Lord wrote recently about renewed interest in embedding Gecko, the current Mozilla layout engine used by Firefox and Thunderbird, while today he's out with a new post about the state of embedding Gecko into other applications...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...cko-Not-Pretty

  • #2
    Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    Because gecko just like everything from mozilla, is SHIT!
    Lol k, good argument.

    Well thought out and very elaborately explained. I liked the part where you used a conjunction to start your sentence, and that part where you purposely forgot a comma after the word gecko to confuse non native English speakers... Oh and that part where you trolled; that part was very full of troll.

    Comment


    • #3
      Doesn't wine use Geko for its rendering in their implementation of Internet Explorer?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Doesn't wine use Geko for its rendering in their implementation of Internet Explorer?
        Kinda true, but I always kept wine-gecko off my machines and never had problems with web or embedded browser thingies, so I wonder what it actually does.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by magika View Post
          Kinda true, but I always kept wine-gecko off my machines and never had problems with web or embedded browser thingies, so I wonder what it actually does.
          If by "embedded browser thingies" you mean Steam's built-in browser, they switched to using webkit a long time ago, since they needed it to run in Linux/Mac as well. I'm guessing some other applications out there may have done the same. As far as I'm aware any Windows app that actually uses the mshtml dll does require wine-gecko.

          Comment


          • #6
            I think Mozilla is right not to invest in embeddable Gecko. Even if they succeeded on a technical level, Gecko + Xulrunner = pretty huge code base. And if they manage to get Servo into production anytime soon it would just be a waste of time anyway.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
              I think Mozilla is right not to invest in embeddable Gecko. Even if they succeeded on a technical level, Gecko + Xulrunner = pretty huge code base. And if they manage to get Servo into production anytime soon it would just be a waste of time anyway.
              They're also planning to deprecate XUL/XPCOM though, and WebExtensions is going to make it so that they can refactor/change the engine a lot more easily (without having to worry about breaking extension compatibility), so who knows how this will change in the future.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

                Lol k, good argument.

                Well thought out and very elaborately explained. I liked the part where you used a conjunction to start your sentence, and that part where you purposely forgot a comma after the word gecko to confuse non native English speakers... Oh and that part where you trolled; that part was very full of troll.
                Pretty sure he is tehblackcat or alike (e.g. TROLL). If you look at his comment history it certainly looks that way. Sure there are polarizing people out there but not quite like him.
                Either way, he is welcome to my ignorelist.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I don't quite understand why or how he came to that conclusion concerning IPCLiteAPI.
                  So what if it's been dead for 11 months? If the codebase is truly as high quality as he claims it is, forking it should be no problem.

                  I recently revived a project that saw its last commit in 2013 and was itself forked off of a project that had been dead since 1999. That particular project started with technologies that aren't even around anymore (GTK1 and OpenGL 1.1). There's bound to be far less legacy crud around in IPCLiteAPI.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X