Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 1.9.5 Brings Improvements For Older Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine-Staging 1.9.5 Brings Improvements For Older Windows Games On Linux

    Phoronix: Wine-Staging 1.9.5 Brings Improvements For Older Windows Games On Linux

    Building off last Friday's release of Wine 1.9.5 is now the Wine-Staging update that adds in extra patches...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Staging-1.9.5

  • #2
    I used to use Wine a lot before back in the days when I was new to Linux, but now I find myself using it less and less, I don't even use it anymore.
    I gradually got less used to Windows software, and more used to the native alternatives offered on Linux.
    Also I guess now there is more and better native Linux applications.

    WinMerge and MS Paint is nice though.
    I also miss Visual Studio.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I used to use Wine a lot before back in the days when I was new to Linux, but now I find myself using it less and less, I don't even use it anymore.
      I gradually got less used to Windows software, and more used to the native alternatives offered on Linux.
      Also I guess now there is more and better native Linux applications.

      WinMerge and MS Paint is nice though.
      I also miss Visual Studio.
      Lol, MS Paint? Tell me that you're joking... out of everything from photoshop to corel painter... MS Paint? Anyhow I'm very much the same, the only things I miss are the wnidows desktop shell (it is so well designed compared to any linux desktop environment, nobody can deny) and some windows games, most of which can run through wine, but setting up wine is just such a pain in the rectum. (And from what I hear, even if I missed photoshop; which I don't, cus Krita 4life... that wine can actually run PS CS6 pretty well now)
      Last edited by rabcor; 03-08-2016, 08:29 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I used to use Wine a lot before back in the days when I was new to Linux, but now I find myself using it less and less, I don't even use it anymore.
        I gradually got less used to Windows software, and more used to the native alternatives offered on Linux.
        Also I guess now there is more and better native Linux applications.

        WinMerge and MS Paint is nice though.
        I also miss Visual Studio.
        but, but, but.... there is TuxPaint!

        or on a more serious note: KolourPaint is an excelent MS Paint Clone. mtpaint ore xpaint are also ok, but not that "good"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          [...]the only things I miss are the wnidows desktop shell (it is so well designed compared to any linux desktop environment, nobody can deny)[...]
          The only things the Windows desktop has that I haven't seen in any Linux DE are its intelligent handling of various MIME types without having to tell the DE what to do with them (I can literally do anything with any file straight from the desktop) and online tiles within the Start Menu, at least on Win10 (the scopes in Unity are a bit much).

          Otherwise, XFCE and MATE are clean, KDE has just as many features, and GNOME is powerful.

          Comment


          • #6
            I like the focus on older games! I'd love to not have to use a virtual machine just to play LEGO Rock Raiders.

            Comment


            • #7
              I like the focus on older games. I'd love not having to run a virtual machine just for LEGO Rock Raiders.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                [...] WinMerge [...]
                Meld looks nice to me (haven't tried it though).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  Lol, MS Paint? Tell me that you're joking... out of everything from photoshop to corel painter... MS Paint? Anyhow I'm very much the same, the only things I miss are the wnidows desktop shell (it is so well designed compared to any linux desktop environment, nobody can deny) and some windows games, most of which can run through wine, but setting up wine is just such a pain in the rectum. (And from what I hear, even if I missed photoshop; which I don't, cus Krita 4life... that wine can actually run PS CS6 pretty well now)
                  No, I actually like MS Paint. It is very easy and simple to use, and for certain type of things I find it very suitable.
                  I like it much for pixel art and such because it has a very useful grid and does not do any anti-aliasing.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    so, we nailed it. people who like visual studio are the same people who like mspaint

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X