Ubuntu Is Close To Finally Removing Python 2 From Their Desktop ISO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Close To Finally Removing Python 2 From Their Desktop ISO

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Close To Finally Removing Python 2 From Their Desktop ISO

Going back a few years have been an aim by Ubuntu developers to remove Python 2 from their ISOs in favor of Python 3. While some other distributions have made good on their transition to Python 3, the Ubuntu desktop ISO still has been held back in keeping Python 2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2018 - Python 4 released.
    Breaking news! Ubuntu 18.04 will use Python 3 by default!
    Can't wait for it.

Comment

Originally posted by nimroot View Post

Can't wait for it.
      Except Pyhton3 is more than 7 years old, so if py4 was released in 2018 it wouldn't reach ubuntu until 2025.
      Given the same pace.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisq View Post
        Except Pyhton3 is more than 7 years old, so if py4 was released in 2018 it wouldn't reach ubuntu until 2025.
        I'm really not a Ubuntu fanboy, but Ubunto is not to blame for this one. This has been an issue related to python 3 not being backwards compatible! And there are just too many libraries and applications that were slow with adopting python 3.

Especially considering scientific computing applications, probably the last big puzzle piece (i.e. VTK) has just added python 3 support in the last half a year, and there are many more examples like this.

Comment

Originally posted by nimroot View Post

Can't wait for it.

at least in ubuntu the things work out of box, for end users is the best thing, last time i check most of new distro have big issue with samba because that, who have the brains here? the devs who make our life harder? i doubt

Comment

Originally posted by chrisq View Post

Given the same pace.
            That's not how it works, you can use python2 and python3 in parallel.

Comment

Bad decision by Ubuntu. Python3 has only been a regression in productivity so far.

Comment

Working...
              X