Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wxWidgets 3.1.0 Brings Better HiDPI Support, wxQt With Qt5

Phoronix: wxWidgets 3.1.0 Brings Better HiDPI Support, wxQt With Qt5

wxWidgets 3.1.0 was released yesterday as a new development release for this cross-platform toolkit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the point of wxQt? Porting GTK apps to QT? Dual toolkit GUIs?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      wxWidgets is a native toolkit, you can build the app to use GTK+ or Qt, but the API is different (it remembers MFC). On Windows and OS X it uses native widgets, not GTK+ or Qt.
      This is cool because you can play your apps with wxGTK to use the HTML5 (Broadway) backend or with wxQt to port the app to Android.
      Last edited by fdelapena; 01 March 2016, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Yes I know that wxWidgets uses native widgets while QT doesn't, but in my opinion this isn't enough to make the whole wxQt effort worth, that's why I asked if there was a different reason behind this choice.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

There was already some wxQt effort for previous versions, and this work is from a GSoC student.
          Though I prefer GTK+ and I not consider this a time waste, this will help a lot to cover some ports which didn't have wxWidgets support so far or they were experimental or unmaintained.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            wxWidgets tries to fit into the environment by wrapping the UI components used in that environment, i.e. "native widgets".

wxQt is therefore an implementation fo wxWidgets for environments where Qt's widgets are the native widgets.

The fact that Qt itself provides a multiplatform widget toolkit isn't relevant here, the wxWidgets developer is not using any Qt API directly.

Cheers,
            _

Comment

Working...
            X