Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo Lands Its New GPU-Accelerated Rendering Backend

Phoronix: Servo Lands Its New GPU-Accelerated Rendering Backend

Mozilla's experimental Servo web layout engine written in Rust has landed its new "WebRender" back-end that leverages GPU rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With WebRender, it should be even faster than it was before! Servo is shaping up to blow all current engines out of the race at this pace. Combined with CEF, it's all set to replace Chromium in many applications

Comment

Looks good. They've not even completed batching the calls (and they're looking at vulkan to help with some of the currently serialized steps).
      Id really love to know why they didn't go with TyGL.

Comment

OK, that post was "unapproved"...

Again, these are good results and don't include some pretty simple optimizations, nor vulkan.
        I'd still love to know why they didn't go with TyGL.

Comment

This could increase battery life on Android and Linux Firefox Laptop users I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            With WebRender, it should be even faster than it was before! Servo is shaping up to blow all current engines out of the race at this pace. Combined with CEF, it's all set to replace Chromium in many applications
            WebRender with Vulkan and Firefox would be the worldwide market leader for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              I think that is what they are aiming for. Gecko is completely tied to Firefox and not really designed to be reused in different applications.

Comment

It certainly is an exciting development... I wonder when it is going to be in a usable browser for end users?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                  It certainly is an exciting development... I wonder when it is going to be in a usable browser for end users?
                  hopefully wee'll see a Alpha of the Browser near the end of the Year, however i wouldnt expect it to stil named Firefox. prolly more like SamFox

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post

I think that is what they are aiming for. Gecko is completely tied to Firefox and not really designed to be reused in different applications.
                    Correction. It's tied to Mozilla frameworks. Not necessarily Firefox. It's used in plenty applications outside of Firefox. Mozilla owned as well as 3rd party.

Comment

Working...
                    X