GNOME 3.20 Beta Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magika View Post
    mutter is very very bad. Open some amount of windows and it will be running at 20-15 fps, and it doesn't seem to be maxwell or blob thing, on Intel graphics machines I experience same thing.
    Mutter is indeed bad, I have heard Intel folks get good performance overall, but on nvidia? right, with 5 windows i can only pray for 20fps. WTF, 10 release cycles on

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Why is the performance so bad?
      If it's a gnome-only problem why not use KDE, or something else?
      gnome has worst performance, but usability wise I just can't get used to anything else. It's like a catch 22, I've been trying to get gnome out of my life for 2 years now. My life is cursed.

Comment

Toggling applications view is done and animated by shell, no perfromance problems there, nobody cares about applications view anyway. I was talking about actual window manager duties like moving windows around, doing that peaks CPU usage at near 100% for mutter and X and is ultra-jerky. In contrast, KWIN keeps 60 fps, and CPU usage when moving windows is about 8% and 2% respectively. I should really just record a proper demo.
        Yeah, so it's called gnome-shell-perf-tool, and i think is part of a normal gnome install.
        The shell is drawn by mutter, and they test overview b/c it's a very demanding process. Much more so than just moving a window around.
        Now, a few questions. If mutter causes these problems (which seem to be nvidia related), and kwin works better, why not use kde? Using gs, open a terminal thats running top/htop/atop/whatever, and put it to one side while you open another window. Now, move that second window as fast as you can around the screen. If you're cpu never goes above 8% when doing that, you've either got a monstrously powerful cpu, or the most efficient wm i've ever seen (even Windows and osx cpu usage with jump when doing this test). For reference, on my i5-4210u, with a 1920x1080 screen, I can't get the compositor process to go above 24%.

Comment

To the rest of you:

I'd guess most, of not all, of you are using nvidia cards. There seems to be some serious issues with them, at least with the blobs.
          My experience with nvidia cards and GS has been with nouveau, and I get similar results with nouveau as with i915.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Yeah, so it's called gnome-shell-perf-tool, and i think is part of a normal gnome install.
            The shell is drawn by mutter, and they test overview b/c it's a very demanding process. Much more so than just moving a window around.
            Now, a few questions. If mutter causes these problems (which seem to be nvidia related), and kwin works better, why not use kde? Using gs, open a terminal thats running top/htop/atop/whatever, and put it to one side while you open another window. Now, move that second window as fast as you can around the screen. If you're cpu never goes above 8% when doing that, you've either got a monstrously powerful cpu, or the most efficient wm i've ever seen (even Windows and osx cpu usage with jump when doing this test). For reference, on my i5-4210u, with a 1920x1080 screen, I can't get the compositor process to go above 24%.
            Liam, thanks for the message, i never knew about the perf-tool. This raises some interesting things I would like to talk with you.
            Setup: nvidia gx970m, blob drivers ofc since maxwell doesnt have working nouveau yet. I just yesterday removed trippleBuffer from xorg.conf to see a visible increase in performance. The rest of the changes I can name are clutter_vblank=none and ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On in xorg to remove the tearing.
            Note, overview performance is ok-ish if I keep all windows on same workspace. Drops a tad if I move some to second. I would rate fps as around 20-24 in the good cases.

Now here's the interesting part, what perf-tool reports:
            Code:
            # Frames rate when going to the overview, 10 alpha-transparent windows open
            overviewFps10Alpha 92.79729250252463
            # Frames rate when going to the overview, 10 maximized windows open
            overviewFps10Maximized 93.7304728181629
            # Frames rate when going to the overview, 10 windows open
            overviewFps10Windows 89.95708517877648
            # Frames rate when going to the overview, 5 alpha-transparent windows open
            overviewFps5Alpha 126.83639417252373
            # Frames rate when going to the overview, 5 maximized windows open
            overviewFps5Maximized 121.36522391883813
            # Frames rate when going to the overview, 5 windows open
            overviewFps5Windows 131.218097600021
            # Frame rate when going to the overview, first time
            overviewFpsFirst 178.84947186803012
            # Frames rate when going to the overview, second time
            overviewFpsSubsequent 204.72026438159855
            I confirm the test seemed incredibly smooth. I have never had real life performance as smooth as this test, how is this possible?
            Thanks dude

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
              Liam, thanks for the message, i never knew about the perf-tool. This raises some interesting things I would like to talk with you.
              Setup: nvidia gx970m, blob drivers ofc since maxwell doesnt have working nouveau yet. I just yesterday removed trippleBuffer from xorg.conf to see a visible increase in performance. The rest of the changes I can name are clutter_vblank=none and ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On in xorg to remove the tearing.
              Note, overview performance is ok-ish if I keep all windows on same workspace. Drops a tad if I move some to second. I would rate fps as around 20-24 in the good cases.

Now here's the interesting part, what perf-tool reports:
              Code:
              # Frames rate when going to the overview, 10 alpha-transparent windows open
              overviewFps10Alpha 92.79729250252463
              # Frames rate when going to the overview, 10 maximized windows open
              overviewFps10Maximized 93.7304728181629
              # Frames rate when going to the overview, 10 windows open
              overviewFps10Windows 89.95708517877648
              # Frames rate when going to the overview, 5 alpha-transparent windows open
              overviewFps5Alpha 126.83639417252373
              # Frames rate when going to the overview, 5 maximized windows open
              overviewFps5Maximized 121.36522391883813
              # Frames rate when going to the overview, 5 windows open
              overviewFps5Windows 131.218097600021
              # Frame rate when going to the overview, first time
              overviewFpsFirst 178.84947186803012
              # Frames rate when going to the overview, second time
              overviewFpsSubsequent 204.72026438159855
              I confirm the test seemed incredibly smooth. I have never had real life performance as smooth as this test, how is this possible?
              Thanks dude
              Well, it may have to do with any changes you've made to the environment.
              First thing I'd try is to disable any extensions. I say that because the perf-tool, at a minimum, opens a new shell, and I'd that it disables all extensions when it does this (as the point of this is to test the hardware, and help build a hwdb... it's part of the GNOME perf testing CI tooling). Additionally, it may start another X session, so I'd next try masking your xorg.conf.
              Let me know if this helps.

Edit: BTW, if you've got some coding experience with js, you can use the built-in looking glass terminal (called from GNOME shell cmdline via Alt-F2 then executing the command lg). It's the tool to use of you want to inspect any part of the shell, including extensions.
              Last edited by liam; 21 February 2016, 10:42 PM.

Comment

[...] on Intel graphics machines I experience same thing.
                Try without SwapbuffersWait. In xorg's configuration file, device section:
                Code:
                Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
                Option "SwapbuffersWait" "0"
                Last edited by gedgon; 22 February 2016, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X