Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.20 Beta Now Available

Phoronix: GNOME 3.20 Beta Now Available

GNOME 3.19.90 is available today as the beta for the upcoming GNOME 3.20...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Feels like GNOME Software Center could need some refinements.

I think new is that GNOME Maps support editing of OpenStreetMap.

Comment

I really prefer the limba shared library approach. Hopefully it sees some uptake.

Comment

Great, now Fedora users can have their updates, while silly little me running gnome on nvidia proprietary maxwell card has the lousiest performance of all DEs out there. Go gnome!

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
          Great, now Fedora users can have their updates, while silly little me running gnome on nvidia proprietary maxwell card has the lousiest performance of all DEs out there. Go gnome!
          Why is the performance so bad?
          If it's a gnome-only problem why not use KDE, or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Why is the performance so bad?
            If it's a gnome-only problem why not use KDE, or something else?
            mutter is very very bad. Open some amount of windows and it will be running at 20-15 fps, and it doesn't seem to be maxwell or blob thing, on Intel graphics machines I experience same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
              mutter is very very bad. Open some amount of windows and it will be running at 20-15 fps, and it doesn't seem to be maxwell or blob thing, on Intel graphics machines I experience same thing.
              This isn't my experience at all. On my yoga 2, with just a low power hsw SOC, it runs at 1080 with seven Windows with no noticeable stuttering (when moving between Windows and overview). I used to have a mutter script (iirc, it was, or maybe still is, part of the mutter tree, and used by the developers to test performance) that would open a bunch of Windows, resize them, etc. The point being that mutter is actually pretty good about keeping things smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
                what kind of performance problems?

i have 2 systems with different nvidias here and on all of them clutter vblank (vsync) decrease performance. so i have to disable it to can use gnome.

I have this PC configuration: Asus P8B75-V motherboard, Intel core i5-2320, Asus GeForce GTX 750 OC, 8GB RAM. I bought that graphic card couple days ago. As you can see the computer is prety good configuration, and i have problems with almost every desktop environment. When i drag windows around, it lags begind mouse pointer. It happens in unity, cinnamon, gnome 3. In windows i play some games at 1080p, so i would say hardware is not the matter here. Last i tried gnome 3, and switched to ...

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

This isn't my experience at all. On my yoga 2, with just a low power hsw SOC, it runs at 1080 with seven Windows with no noticeable stuttering (when moving between Windows and overview). I used to have a mutter script (iirc, it was, or maybe still is, part of the mutter tree, and used by the developers to test performance) that would open a bunch of Windows, resize them, etc. The point being that mutter is actually pretty good about keeping things smooth.
                  Toggling applications view is done and animated by shell, no perfromance problems there, nobody cares about applications view anyway. I was talking about actual window manager duties like moving windows around, doing that peaks CPU usage at near 100% for mutter and X and is ultra-jerky. In contrast, KWIN keeps 60 fps, and CPU usage when moving windows is about 8% and 2% respectively. I should really just record a proper demo.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                    Toggling applications view is done and animated by shell, no perfromance problems there, nobody cares about applications view anyway. I was talking about actual window manager duties like moving windows around, doing that peaks CPU usage at near 100% for mutter and X and is ultra-jerky. In contrast, KWIN keeps 60 fps, and CPU usage when moving windows is about 8% and 2% respectively. I should really just record a proper demo.
                    so as i assumed, it seems like the same problem i/we have. just read my post above.
                    Last edited by mezo; 19 February 2016, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X