LibreOffice 5.1 Officially Released As The Best Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 5.1 Officially Released As The Best Open-Source Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 5.1 Officially Released As The Best Open-Source Office Suite

The Document Foundation today announced the release of LibreOffice 5.1 for Linux, Windows, and OS X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kanotix ISO images from last night already contain LibreOffice 5.1 final.

Comment

Hurray, they mention Android specifically.
      Oh wait... they didn't update play store, and the "nightly" build still crashes immediately when you try to open ANY document on ANY device.

WTF is the matter with them? Half the population of the world has Android, and only around 0.0001% desktop Linux, yet their Android effort is less than half-assed. Are they TRYING to fail?

Comment

Well, but how many people actually do use a full grown text processor (etc.) on Android? Usually android is installed on devices with very small screens and it would be quite painful to work with that. Besides, Android, at least as far as I know, only shares the kernel with linux (plus custom google / vendor patches), but the userland is very different.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Well huge tablets could be used with mouse+keyboard too. I think a full blown Android port is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Hurray, they mention Android specifically.
            Oh wait... they didn't update play store, and the "nightly" build still crashes immediately when you try to open ANY document on ANY device.

WTF is the matter with them? Half the population of the world has Android, and only around 0.0001% desktop Linux, yet their Android effort is less than half-assed. Are they TRYING to fail?

Android users run Google's office by default. And typically Android users don't create content. More over, what fraction of the Android users ever need to open a document?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Well, but how many people actually do use a full grown text processor (etc.) on Android?
              How many people WOULD, if such a thing was actually available?

Usually android is installed on devices with very small screens and it would be quite painful to work with that.
              Android is installed on ALL KINDS of devices. Not just phones.

Besides, Android, at least as far as I know, only shares the kernel with linux (plus custom google / vendor patches), but the userland is very different.
              Yes, the userland IS very different, which is why libreoffice/docufoundation needs to get off their asses and make something usable.

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post

Android users run Google's office by default. And typically Android users don't create content. More over, what fraction of the Android users ever need to open a document?
                That google software you are referring to is wholly useless. I've looked at it, briefly, and discarded it.
                As for your question; MOST.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Kanotix ISO images from last night already contain LibreOffice 5.1 final.
                  and openSUSE tumbleweed since a week

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

That google software you are referring to is wholly useless. I've looked at it, briefly, and discarded it.
                    As for your question; MOST.
                    Well, that wholly useless software fits my needs so well I haven't touched an office suite in years.

Comment

Working...
                    X