Firefox 46 Is Bringing Smoother Scrolling To The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Not in the longterm, but for now it's not available on most platforms (even windows).

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/GFX/APZ

Linux needs OMTC support enabled before this can be worked on.

According to this bug, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=594876

They are intentionally waiting to let GTK3 support go out and get more widely used/tested before changing the graphics stack much further.
    That's a page from 2014. I suspect a lot has changed since then.

Comment

In Nightly (47), APZ and OMTC are enabled on Linux.

Comment

OMTC is already enabled by default on Linux (and Windows too), there is no need for the MOZ_USE_OMTC shell variable to enable it.
        BTW OMTC is required for hardware accelerated compositing.

Comment

So... this is already active on mobile firefox? I.e., on Android? Firefox on Android is the laggiest, jankiest, most horrid scrolling experience there ever was. Then they incorporated THAT SAME CODE into Libreoffice on Android, and it is similarly laggy and janky. BURN IT.

Comment

On Arch, they have been building with gtk3 and OMTC for their packages. Haven't seen any issues. Don't know about other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
              On Arch, they have been building with gtk3 and OMTC for their packages. Haven't seen any issues. Don't know about other distros.
              didn't know that. Do you see / feel any difference?

Comment

I'd be more interested in them sorting out native per-pixel (smooth) scrolling for gtk3. It used to be enabled but they later disabled it---apparently it can be reenabled via an environment variable, but I couldn't get it working. The advantage of their home-brewed stuff, though, is that it works with all mice, whereas native gtk3 smooth scrolling is mostly a touchpad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                  I'd be more interested in them sorting out native per-pixel (smooth) scrolling for gtk3. It used to be enabled but they later disabled it---apparently it can be reenabled via an environment variable, but I couldn't get it working. The advantage of their home-brewed stuff, though, is that it works with all mice, whereas native gtk3 smooth scrolling is mostly a touchpad thing.
                  Works with xinput2 env. Scrolling is far more responsive.
                  Only tested on nightly.

Comment

I hope they get the checkerboarding fixed before this hits release. Because then you're no better off. You just traded "meh" scrolling with no graphical glitches to smooth scrolling with a shitton of graphical rendering artifacts and crap.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Not in the longterm, but for now it's not available on most platforms (even windows).

Linux needs OMTC support enabled before this can be worked on.

According to this bug, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=594876

They are intentionally waiting to let GTK3 support go out and get more widely used/tested before changing the graphics stack much further.
                    OMTC was enabled by default on Linux several releases ago.
                    Last edited by FuturePilot; 11 February 2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X