Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLC 3.0 Remains Under Development While VLC 4.0 Will Have Better Wayland Support & A New UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by azari View Post
    As for frivolous nonsense like "DVD/BD menus", this was removed on purpose because it never worked properly (even in mplayer) and made the code difficult to maintain.
    So, in other words, the complaint is actually completely valid (at least for DVD menus).

Comment

To give you an understanding of the insanity involved here, are you aware that Blu-ray's advanced menus require Java support? Do you really expect all players to just start hooking into Java just because Sony decided that Blu-ray would include Java in their dumbass standard?
      Yes, I do.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

So, in other words, the complaint is actually completely valid (at least for DVD menus).
        If they'd said "I use VLC because I want DVD menu support", I would never have commented. It was the other nonsense they said, as well as the implication that it's somehow bad or shocking for a media player to not have DVD/BD menus because "its 2016", and that this missing feature is somehow a sign of incompetence or so on; it's like this person is so self-absorbed that they cannot possibly conceive of a universe where maybe their specific need isn't really as important as they think it is to most other people (the whole reason the code was removed was because it was orphaned and in the way of much needed code cleanups; cleanups that mplayer refuses to do, hence the fork).

In my previous comment, I even said I'm glad that VLC takes care of the noob demographic, because those of us who use mpv enjoy the straightforwardness of the player, and we're not interested in seeing them bring in dependencies like GTK or Qt for a more complex UI, or Java for BD-J menu support, etc.

If you know how to use commands and hotkeys, and you care more about video quality than the ability to parse/interpret menu metadata (or java in the case of BD-J), then mpv is infinitely superior to anything out there. Of course if you absolutely must have Java runtime integration your media player so you can use the BD-J menus, then you'll want something that doesn't have quite the same quality, but is still a decent player, like VLC.

A lot of us are done with physical media, and don't want all that complexity; looking down on the hard work the mpv developers do just because your pet use case isn't supported just makes you sound like an entitled piece of shit, that's all I was saying.

Originally posted by SciK View Post

Yes, I do.
        Speaking of entitlement....

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          I almost never use vlc anymore on linux i rather use mplayer/smplayer or xine
          smplayer always sounds unfortunate dirty to me

Comment

Originally posted by rob11311 View Post
            smplayer always sounds unfortunate dirty to me
            Maybe you need to explore new grounds with smplayer.

Comment

Main reason I am still using VLC these days is that I'm still yet to find a really good GUI front end for MPV. The default OSD interface is very limited and you invariably have to manage a fair amount of everything manually by knowing the keyboard shortcuts or your way around the config. A good GUI would solve a lot of that but most of them are really shit either because they choose to expose a small section of the functionality (Gnome-MPV come to mind) or because they are behind the times (SMPlayer and Bomi). In Bomi's case it's buil;t around a forked version of MPV rather than libmpv so any improvements to the main player are not reflected across now that development has seemingly ceased. SMPlayer, while certainly still developed, still has that really confusingly laid out UI that also happens to look more than a bit like and iOS3 app, so absolute garbage on almost any theme under Gnome or KDE.

Comment

I signed up on the forum just to respond to your unbearable ignorance. There is currently no player that outperforms mpv in video playback anywhere; first of all, mpv is a fork of mplayer that has fixed many bugs and greatly cleaned up the codebase and added things that have been missing from mplayer for years, like mkv segment linking and chapters support, and even precise seeking (yes, this has been broken in mplayer for years).

LMAO mplayer and VLC beat the pants off mpv in performance and playback speed without drops, and mpv code base is rotten and bug prone, not to mention being a bloated pig to playback any media.

Comment

Michael bumping this thread! It's been over a year after this article, with no VLC 3 yet

Bug list:

Comment

Working...
                  X