Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 1.2 Adds MAC Address Randomization

Phoronix: NetworkManager 1.2 Adds MAC Address Randomization

For providing network tracking protection and out of privacy concerns, NetworkManager 1.2 has added a feature that was first found in Apple's iOS 8 and has since been found in Windows 10 too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does oma Merkel approves that?

Comment

Is this going to annoy network administrators and ISPs?

With this you will lose your DHCP dynamic IP address lease. Usually it may stay for an hour or a day when inactive.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Is this going to annoy network administrators and ISPs?

With this you will lose your DHCP dynamic IP address lease. Usually it may stay for an hour or a day when inactive.
        To quote the article which you evidently didn't read: "randomizing the MAC address while scanning, chainging it every now and then, but still use the hard-wired MAC address for association and actual connectivity."

Comment

well admins usually end up disabling it and sticking to sysvinit's network scripts for now. people would be more comfortable working with systemd's network. personally i believe NetworkManager is amazing! keep up the good work !

Comment

Good feature for mobile users especially, Android phones should do same by default.

Comment

I can see it before me. "Network admin goes after unstable mac-address randomizers on campus wifi with a sawed-off shotgun."

Comment

I have been manually disabling IPv6 networking capabilities on Android, Windows and Linux on all my devices for a while, but with NetworkManager 1.2 coming out with Fedora 24 I might for the first time just leave it at it's defaults and not care anymore, since all privacy focused features are already in.

Great work NetworkManager developers!

Comment

Connman? No complains with my connected devices...

Comment

Working...
                  X