Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Software On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Available For Testing

Phoronix: GNOME Software On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Available For Testing

Canonical developers continue making progress in replacing the Ubuntu Software Center with GNOME Software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu had failed with their attempt of making it a profitable 'app store' but has succeeded in making Linux 'user-friendly'. I really appreciate the searching for packages and such with images and descriptions.

Usually after I find the name of it I just type "sudo apt-get install whatever" and it's so much faster than the software center.

Comment

The Ubuntu App store have severe technical limitations and was abandoned for years. The most important problem for users was that is that it is slow as hell.

An App Store is a business critical component that should have been written for maximum performance, not ease of development.

Comment

Nice. Maybe by 16.04 I'll switch from Fedora to Ubuntu Gnome. I'm tired of reinstalling binary broadcom driver everytime a kernel update is released.

Comment

So I'm curious what the roadmap here is. Adopt the GTK software center, switch to Unity 8 and transition all desktop applications to Qt except the Gnome Software Center, and then write a new Qt-based but of course not Muon because why would we ever not duplicate work software center themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            So I'm curious what the roadmap here is. Adopt the GTK software center, switch to Unity 8 and transition all desktop applications to Qt except the Gnome Software Center, and then write a new Qt-based but of course not Muon because why would we ever not duplicate work software center themselves?
            My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing this means another delay for Unity 8.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              Unity 8 already has a software cenfre.Though only on the phone.Sounds to me like they use gnome software centre in all future unity 7 releases,which appears to be minimal work,then switch to what they are using in unity 8,LTS users are happy,ubuntu gets a better software centre now,instead of 8.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                Ubuntu had failed with their attempt of making it a profitable 'app store' but has succeeded in making Linux 'user-friendly'. I really appreciate the searching for packages and such with images and descriptions.

Usually after I find the name of it I just type "sudo apt-get install whatever" and it's so much faster than the software center.
                I don't know about Ubuntu making anything easier, but I agree about the cl being much faster than the SC (on Fedora).
                Aside from that, I encounter issues with SC "regularly" (as often as not,i s probably a better way of putting it since I rarely use it). It either works or it utterly fails/hangs, and has no useful failure messages afaict.
                I'm constantly surprised by how brittle GNOME software is considering how little functionality it has. This suggests to me that the app frameworks in place are completely inadequate.

Comment

What about people have bought something. Hows that going to work or does GNOME software support that?

Comment

And then abandon the whole thing and switch to snappy.

Comment

Working...
                    X