GNOME's Mutter Tiling Code Gets Rewritten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magika View Post
    Maybe after this we could have 60 fps? Choppy 20 fps window dragging is an eye cancer.
    They should rewrite the whole damn window manager. It's complete junk and ridden with decade-old bugs that nobody has wanted to fix, maybe because it's impossible. Multihead is broken, having always-on-top windows is broken, even click-to-focus directly after switching vdesks is utterly broken. Horrible! Choppy animations is only a cherry on top of the shit cake.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      Multihead is broken.
      This is new to me. I mean, I was forced to use GNOME Shell because it works with multiple displays whereas Plasma & Qt crash non-stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

That's a shame as the current behavior is a disappointing.
        Only temporary, by the look of it. The reversion seems to have been because the commit was a little premature... the maintainers seem to still be discussing some of the details of the implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

They should rewrite the whole damn window manager. It's complete junk and ridden with decade-old bugs that nobody has wanted to fix, maybe because it's impossible. Multihead is broken, having always-on-top windows is broken, even click-to-focus directly after switching vdesks is utterly broken. Horrible! Choppy animations is only a cherry on top of the shit cake.

So how many patches have you contributed?

Comment

If you read the notes, there were several other bugs that were completely ignored. He also never tested multimonitor w/ keyboard shortcuts or different res monitors. It also still made handling multiple tiled windows a pain. It should resize all left/right hand ones. No one wants to maintain them all individually.

Comment

this feature is way overdue.

Comment

if you need tiling then go for i3 or awesome.

Comment

Yes Multihead is broken now, I mean for mouse only users it might all be okish but thats it. you can get rid of the monstros panels with maximus2 extention, you can use fasteranimations extention.

but for multihead, there is no shortcut to change focus to other monitor, or to move a window to other monitor, so with multihead its not usable.

for tiling, this is a joke, maybe I am a bit harsh I dont compare it to kde or cinamon but better wms, it makes absolutly no sense that when you have lets say 2 windows 50% one right one left in tiled mode (u used the tile feature so u commited to use tiling) you make one on the edge bigger like in this video to lets say 60% screen size that the other window dont automaticly shriks to 40%.

I get that you want to keep it so simple that people without tiling needs can use it, but if you resized 2 windows to 50% you made a statement, that you know what tiling is, and you want in 90 to 99% of the time what I just said. you dont want to use your mouse 2 times, for that keyboard shortcuts would be the extra bonus point.

not that I would use gnome, I love gnome btw, but I grown out of it, but I even grown out of normal tiling wms, if I would still use i3 or awesome I would reconsider it with such behaviour, I did it in the past, but not even the tiling was the biggest problem but the missing keychords for multihead was the main problem then.

gnome is great for heavy mouse users but for productivity users that have either big 4k screens (that they want to tile) or multihead screens its sadly not a good desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    gnome is great for heavy mouse users but for productivity users that have either big 4k screens (that they want to tile) or multihead screens its sadly not a good desktop.
                    Gnome Shell is very good for productivity too with the emphasis on keyboard rather than mouse. It works very well for Blender, Gimp and Inkscpae. Gnome Shell has exension for tiles called Shellshape

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                      Gnome Shell is very good for productivity too with the emphasis on keyboard rather than mouse. It works very well for Blender, Gimp and Inkscpae. Gnome Shell has exension for tiles called Shellshape
                      lol blender you run on full screen its no real normal simple application more like emacs for graphics. how blender works dont says much about the starter desktop that you basicly only use to start the app.

Shellshape is garbage compared to real tiling wms I testet it, sorry it plays not even in the same leage. Again I am still a gnome fan, and yes it has some good keyboard use compared to let say gnome2? or maybe kde or something but it has not a move focus on other monitor key. you only can skip through 20 apps with alt+tab to get to the other monitor, that sucks sorry. Again gnome-shell is great I like the project especialy for noobs its a good compromise between productivity and small learnig curve, but it lacks some stuff that are essencial for more productivity.

Comment

Working...
                      X