SDL 2.0.4 Was Quietly Released Last Week With Wayland & Mir By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL 2.0.4 Was Quietly Released Last Week With Wayland & Mir By Default

Phoronix: SDL 2.0.4 Was Quietly Released Last Week With Wayland & Mir By Default

Released last weekend to not much fanfare was SDL 2.0.4, a significant update to the Simple DirectMedia Library, which is commonly used by cross-platform games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice,
    I remember that I saw on Nestopia Undead Edition (NES emulator for old games) blog a post saying that it's waiting the 2.04 version of SDL to release a new version of the emulator

I think this is it

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Nice,
      I remember that I saw on Nestopia Undead Edition (NES emulator for old games) blog a post saying that it's waiting the 2.04 version of SDL to release a new version of the emulator

I think this is it
      Cross-platform Nestopia emulator core with a GUI. Contribute to 0ldsk00l/nestopia development by creating an account on GitHub.

True to their word.

Comment

Just built it for my game engine. Smooth sailing. Excited about NaCL support.

Comment

SDL_mixer 2.0.1 has been released too, fixed a well known FPE with audio playback but it is still very broken for certain purposes, e.g. Mix_PlayMusic resampling sounds choked or pure noisy garbage, specially when playing MP3 with a different sampling frequency than the used by the device. There is MP3 support as chunks as new feature but it does not work with libmad (was this ever tested before merging?), smpeg has even more bugs than libmad with some mp3 files. OGG and WAV choked or noisy audio can be worked around by using Mix_PlayChannel (even with Emscripten).

Mix_OpenAudio does not have an equivalent to SDL_OpenAudioDevice, needed to force a specific audio format and device than the provided by SDL_OpenAudio. When using Emscripten, this is needed to make midi (timidity) and mod (libmodplug) work. A Mix_OpenAudioDevice is needed. There is a working patch in bugzilla to make them work with Emscripten without issues.

Fedora rawhide already has 2.0.4, not sure about other distros.
          By the way, Ubuntu 15.10 has a bug with Mir and packaging needs to rebuild SDL deb-src (2.0.3 in 15.10) with Mir disabled due to a Mir API change in this specific version.

Comment

Originally posted by Xake View Post

Cross-platform Nestopia emulator core with a GUI. Contribute to 0ldsk00l/nestopia development by creating an account on GitHub.

True to their word.
            Wow, that was fast!

Comment

I was already able to run Xonotic on pure wayland even with 2.0.3. But due to missing pointer-lock feature in wayland protocol and compositors, it was unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                I was already able to run Xonotic on pure wayland even with 2.0.3. But due to missing pointer-lock feature in wayland protocol and compositors, it was unplayable.

Yes from what it looks like pointer-locking etc. needs to be implemented in multiple places, Protocol, Compositor and Frameworks like SDL, GLFW. The person who is working on this has branches for both frameworks with partial support.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/018653.html

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

Yes from what it looks like pointer-locking etc. needs to be implemented in multiple places, Protocol, Compositor and Frameworks like SDL, GLFW. The person who is working on this has branches for both frameworks with partial support.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/018653.html
                  Yes, it worked with all these. But they are rusty now and unbuildable, so it won't work anymore.

Comment

The Vivante driver is a little badly timed. I guess this is for EGL rendering directly on the framebuffer using the proprietary driver but the open driver stack is about to bear fruit.

Comment

Working...
                    X