Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktable 2.0 Released, Now A GTK3 App With New Features

Phoronix: Darktable 2.0 Released, Now A GTK3 App With New Features

Darktable 2.0 has been released in time for editing all of your RAW holiday photos. Darktable continues to be one of the leading open-source photography for RAW images...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is very good software, my favorite RAW photo editor by far.

Comment

Yep,pretty good!

Comment

Fantastic tutorials and a much improved product. It's now something worth digging into and using regularly.

Comment

sudo pacman -Syu

There we go now I can live demo Dark Table 2.0 - very nice work

Comment

Very nice. My tool of choice for working with my photos for a few years now. Haven't checked v2.x but I really wish they'd kill those sliders. Or at least put an optional something at the side where I can enter numbers. If you're going for light levels with a slider - regardless which mouse I use it's by far too jumpy and jerky for the fine grained regulation of light levels. Other than that I had few complaints and it is a good software with a lot of functions to work on your photos. And merry Christmas by the way.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              sudo pacman -Syu

There we go now I can live demo Dark Table 2.0 - very nice work
              Its on days like this I regret that I'm not on a rolling release distro, installing this on my ubuntu 14.04 laptop wasn't as easy as that.

edit: Ah, the ppa now includes 2.0 for trusty too, I should have waited a bit longer.
              Last edited by JonathanM; 25 December 2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                but I really wish they'd kill those sliders. Or at least put an optional something at the side where I can enter numbers. If you're going for light levels with a slider - regardless which mouse I use it's by far too jumpy and jerky for the fine grained regulation of light levels.
                The right-click on slider widget works ok, jumpy on top, fine grained on bottom.

Or, when the widget is opened you can just type your values in.

Proof: https://i.imgur.com/btW6QX7.jpg

Comment

Really great tool to fiddle with all your RAWs (and jpgs too, but result is much less rewarding in this case, "thanks" to compression & inability to use some modules). Whatever, it kicks the ass. This program takes some time to learn how to use it, but once you're on track, it allows one to impove their photos quite a lot. If one haves idea what RAW is and what Linux is, DarkTable is clearly good thing to try. One of my favorite programs.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                    This is very good software, my favorite RAW photo editor by far.
                    I suppose you have never used Lightroom, which is the original that DarkTable tries to imitate.

I've been using LR for years and Darktable for two years or so (planning to switch to open source to save a bit money with upgrades).

Darktable still has some usability issues until it becomes a reasonable cheap basic photo manager. The workflow isn't as fluent as in LR. I'd like a way to flag photos, not only the star/reject system. Darktable seems faster overall, but some filters are terribly slow and there's no feedback to tell how long it takes, if the program crashed or if you just didn't touch the correct pixel in the slider. Visual feedback is awful in many cases and sometimes things like captions in GUI components are off 1-2 pixels. Some controls are terribly small and you only have a single pixel wide slider you need to hit to change values. Very bad with HiDPI displays (I have 2560x1440 27"). For professionals, some advanced functionality is missing, presets are missing.

Comment

Working...
                    X